Creaking / Cracking Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I've had this twice. First time it was not a rotational crack and turned out to simply be dirt in the seat post. The 2nd time was rotational and turned out the LBS hadn't tightened the cups properly on the BB when they'd replaced it (I hadn't ridden the bike for a while after they'd replaced the BB, so it never occurred to me that it was that). Thankfully the LBS I took it to is owned by a human with superhuman hearing and he can pin point a noise better than a barn owl.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I once solved a creaking by dribbling a tiny amount of oil onto the spoke nipples and at the flange. It was a last resort, but I only figured it was wheel related because the noise was still there when freewheeling.
For a second there I thought I'd wandered into an S&M thread!

Svendo

Guru
I've just remembered my ols bike had an occasional greak at the front which turned out to be the wheel in the drop outs. A tiny smear of grease on the inner face of the dropouts solved it. Tip originated with Sheldon Brown, which further reminds me he has a good list of creak-causes.

I understand that a BB is a pair of bearings seated in a tube that is part of the frame, in my case aluminium.
On assembly in the factory I would think that the bearings are inserted dry as I assume that the profit margin
is reliant on thousands of bikes being assembled per day.

I believe that the outer part of the bearing moves in its dry metal seat and that what makes it creak.

Jan 2014 I bought a Cannondale Quick 4 that after a while would creak when I stood on the pedals going uphill.
I turned the bike upside-down and removed the screw that held a cable guide which allowed me to dribble about
ten drips of oil into this crank area then replaced the screw. I laid the bike on its side for an hour then again on its
other side to allow the oil to creep around the bearing seat.

I'm not saying this cures all creaks but in the last 12 months I haven't had a single creak.
Just wish I could say the same for my knees. :laugh:

Cheers
Paul G

Took the bike out for another run tonight and the noise is definitely coming somewhere between the BB and the rear hub. It now seems worse when free wheeling as opposed to be when under load ( WTF is going on :wacko: ). I have overhauled the bearings in the hubs to see how that goes as they were very dirty and will take it out for another run tomorrow night to see if that has cured it. Could it be the free hub. Has anyone ever experienced a noisy free hub.

On a lighter note overhauling the headset with loose bearings as opposed to the caged has made a hell of a difference. So smooth :okay:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had a noisy freehub when the bearings failed on one of mine. It did sound a bit crackly, but not iirc particularly under heavy load, just when pedaling normally. There is a thread somewhere on here about it.

Top Bottom