Creaking Hope rs4 rear hub - any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
When pedalling under load my rear hub creaks. This happens in or out the saddle. When freewheeling there is no creak.
I've put my spare wheel on and transferred the same casette and used the same skewer, and the creaking stops. So I'm pretty sure it's not the drivetrain or BB.
The dropouts are clean and greased.
The wheel was out of true anyway so I had that done at the lbs and the spokes tightened at the same time, hoping it would be that.
The spokes are clean and where they cross I've put a little lube. It still creaks so I think it's something to do with the hub. I'm pretty useless when it comes to wheel hubs but does anyone have any suggestions what it may be?

chris-suffolk

Try googling "servicing Hope RS4 hubs". I took mine apart last week, and you don't even need any tools except for a soft headed hammer to tap the axle through with. No tightening nuts with cone spanners, just put back together in the right order and you're done - was impressed with the way it had been designed and thought out.

Also consider using a high compression/shear-viscosity (sticky) grease like Liqui Moly 3312 when seating the bearings. Works wonders on poorly machined hubs (unlikely with Hope) or where bearings have been fitted dry and/or enlarged the bore. Sorted a few noisy hubs with it and they're still running without issue. Also effective on many press fit BBs without resorting to locking compound. It is extremely sticky though, so only apply to the mating surfaces and avoid getting it inside bearings.

Top Bottom