creaking pedals\shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I ride with spd ..mtb pedals,on two bikes

One of which is a road bike

(ducks)

So, no matter which of my bikes I ride, with whichever pedal and shoe combo...my shoes and pedals ALWAYS end up creaking.

Forget style and the velomunati...be honest, do road pedals creak a lot too?.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Try spraying the pedal with gt85 /wd 40 or such like, my pedal/cleat interface sometimes creaks and this solves it.

simon.r

Person
Try spraying the pedal with gt85 /wd 40 or such like, my pedal/cleat interface sometimes creaks and this solves it.

I get this a lot and the only solution I've found is as above. Doesn't last very long, especially in dry weather, but it's 90% effective.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One pair of my shoes creaks (Spiuk) , the other pair doesn't (Spesh). With the same pedals (SPD on road bike). A smear of grease or vaseline on the pedal/shoe interface cures it for a while.

simongt

Guru
I take it that you've already checked the torque setting for the bolts holding the cleats on - ? Even a modicum of 'undertorque' will cause EXTREMELY ANNOYING creaking - !:banghead:

Buck

Guru
I ride with spd ..mtb pedals,on two bikes

One of which is a road bike

(ducks)

So, no matter which of my bikes I ride, with whichever pedal and shoe combo...my shoes and pedals ALWAYS end up creaking.

Forget style and the velomunati...be honest, do road pedals creak a lot too?.

Mine creaked on my last ride (last weekend). Today I checked the bolts were tight and then gave them a quick spray of WD40 - no creaks :biggrin:

I have the same bike/shoe/pedal configuration and mine creak too. Given up with oil etc - just twist the shoe in the cleat when it happens (as if you are going to unclip) and it goes away - for a while....

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've just bought a very expensive pair of Campagnolo pedals which are apparently notorious for creaking, so I'll let you know...

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have the same bike/shoe/pedal configuration and mine creak too. Given up with oil etc - just twist the shoe in the cleat when it happens (as if you are going to unclip) and it goes away - for a while....
Yep, I have taken to doing this too. Problem is, on a long ride...like 100 miles...I'm concerned for the damage this may do to my knees...plus it takes the enjoyment out of the ride having to obsess about twisting my feet constantly.

I need a better solution, will await an update from @winjim ...no pressure!!

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mine creaked on my last ride (last weekend). Today I checked the bolts were tight and then gave them a quick spray of WD40 - no creaks :biggrin:
GT85, WD 40, Wet and dry oil...all seem to last about 30 miles before the creak sets back in. GRRRRR

ayceejay

Guru
If your shoes have fasteners that are leather lookalike (ie plastic) and they pass through a metal ring this is a source of a squeak. If you put some wax polish all the way along the strap and under the clasp or whatever see if this helps.

Top Bottom