Creaking SCR.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Johnny5 said:
I don't think my bike has shim!? My seat post just goes straight into the frame and then you tighten it with the clamp.

I think they all have (although I stand to be corrected.) It's quite long, so if you poke you're finger down into the frame you won't feel the end of it so it's hard to tell it's there.
It sits under the clamp and king of butts up against the seatpost tube with a small collar.
I didn't even know I had one untill it came out stuck to the post and I asked on here what the hell it was :cheers::cheers:

NickM said:
:biggrin:

This stuff:

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?language=EN&lvlMain=18&lvlSub=66&ttop=Carbon assembly compound

is really good for assembly of parts which don't (or ought not to) move relative to each other, like seatpins and handlebar/stem junctions. It has little "balls" in it which squash when compressed (Mike Burrows calls it "gritty grease"). You don't need to use gorilla strength to make things stay put, which has got to be a good thing with lightweight components. And it's not just for carbon fibre!

Thanks for that, sounds like good stuff. It doesn't quite feel right applying grease to things that aren't suppose to move!

redjedi said:
Glad you got it sorted. I can't stand little squeaks and have to find the cause before I go riding again.

Didn't know about seat post shims, learn something new everyday.

Can you put a bigger diameter seatpost in and get rid of the shim?

Possibly, I don't know to be honest.
Now I know about it though, it's no big deal to apply something to it if it does creak again.

foolsgold

Fab foodie, I have the exact problem that you mentioned with the metal ferrules at the end of the gear cables where they enter the frame. Where exactly should I apply the grease and what kind of grease? Is using just lube for this ok?

Johnny 5, I have a giant defy also.

Top Bottom