Creaking under load....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threshold

Some advice please people?....
Had the Aether for about 1100miles now, and noticed that on a run when putting more power through the pedals whilst standing in a climb, I get a pronounced creaking on the downstroke. What might this be, and what is the remedy?
Thanks in advance folks from a newish numpty :ohmy:

Mark_Robson

Or one of the pedals could have a dodgy bearing.

battered

Guru
Do you know how to check pedals and bearings for wear? Pedals generally click, BTW, BBs are more creaky as they wear out. You can happily ignore a worn BB, no harm will ensue but after a while it gets embarrassing, especially on a climb.

OP
OP
threshold

threshold

I'll have to do a bit of research on how to diagnose loose pedals/chainset, but to be so after only 4 months... or is it a component(s) that should be checked weekly or so?
Thanks for the advice

martynrg

I've had what I describe as a 'creaking' recently, and can only be heard when I'm out of the saddle.

Though it was BB, pedals, crank etc but it was actually the head set. When out of the saddle the rocking of the bike, left to right, was causing the head set to creak.

Could be that?

gbb

Legendary Member
Worst case scenario...cracked frame ;)
Creaking under load bugged me for a week or so, couldnt figure it out. Upturned the bike to do summit...;):ohmy: cracked where the downtube meets the BB. Mind (and its no age really) that was on a 2 or 3 year old Bianchi.

Chrisc

Guru
I have the same thing, pedals are tight bb feels fine, chainset tight. Turn feet out on pedals and it stops...think it's me SPD shoes!

Fab Foodie said:
Chainset cranks loosened a tad? They can creak if there's the minutest play.

Was following a bloke on a Townsend/Universal/Similar thing yesterday and I wanted to grab him, pull him off the bike and tighten the cranks up. He seemed oblivious to a goosebump-inducing, fingers-down-blackboard-like creak, nay, nore of a shriek, from both cranks

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Chrisc said:
I have the same thing, pedals are tight bb feels fine, chainset tight. Turn feet out on pedals and it stops...think it's me SPD shoes!

Looking for something else and this thread reminded me that I had forgotten to look for this last week

Creaking on the RHS on the downstroke when out of the saddle

Twas the cleat on my right shoe which was loose (or should that be could be tightened a bit with a multi - tool)

Top Bottom