Creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farky

Morning, when I put a reasonable amount of pressure on the crank it's making a very light creaking noise. The bike is only 6 months old has probably covered 1000 miles. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's most likely to be the pedal. Might need some grease...

Keith Oates

Janner
Creaks are very often difficult to identify and as Zimzum said it could be one of the pedals. It could also be in the saddle or seat post which I found on one of mine recently. So for starters I would try all of the easy to check items one by one, try tightening all of the bolts and nuts, starting in the cranks area and then if it's still there work around the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Keith Oates said:
Creaks are very often difficult to identify and as Zimzum said it could be one of the pedals. It could also be in the saddle or seat post which I found on one of mine recently. So for starters I would try all of the easy to check items one by one, try tightening all of the bolts and nuts, starting in the cranks area and then if it's still there work around the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've done most of the above and that's how I've ended up realising it only happens when I put pressure on the crank/chainset.

I'll check the pedals tonight and see if it's those.

andyfromotley

Sounds daft but it may well be your shoes. (if you are using clipless) Thighten up the cleats and a quick spray of light oil does the trick.

andy

If not it might be your knee.....then you really are in trouble!

andy

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What dayvo said, mine's just gone and is in the LBS to get a new sealed BB unit. If there's no sideways movement it might not be though. I'd hold the cranks and waggle the chainring and see if there's any movement at all.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Cheers guys, I ended up removing most of the bolts in the bottom bracket area, cleaned them, oil/waxed them, put them all back in their homes and job done, the creak has gone.

I was surprised by how much grit gets in to such places and the missus thinks I'm not quite the full ticket for oiling my shoes but it had to be done as it was driving me mad! Thanks again!

p.s. Is that white lightning lubricant any good?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I used it for ages on one bike, it was great!

But remember to put it on every ride, ok if you forget once in a while, but it's not possible to leave and forget for ages.....

Top Bottom