Creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
I ride an Specialized Crosstrail Elite and all of a sudden it's got this annoying creaking noise going on.
I've cleaned it and tightened everything, oiled and greased. It's still there! Really bugging me.
I have determined that it stops when I stand up. Could it be the seat post?

I'm hoping it's not my bones!

Any comments would be grateful.

Trev.

johnnyb47

Guru
My boardman mtb had a really annoying creak and it took ages to track it down. Like you it disappeared when i was out of the saddle, and it actually turned out to be the saddle. I quick nip up of the saddle bolt and a small amount of grease on the clamp sorted it. I hope this is of any use to you buddy

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Had a similar experience as @johnnyb47 but on a Cannondale synapse. Only I took it one stage further. Removed the seat post, a light smear of grease where it meets the frame and refitted, but I put a smear on the seat rails too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The seatpost is a good place to look first for unidentified creaks..
Take out post, clean. smear of grease and put back.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's coming from the pedals it will be the BB axle fretting inside the bearing races. Is it?

gbb

Legendary Member
An extremely unlikely scenario but one that can be checked in seconds, yet easily overlooked....look for cracks around the BB/downtube/seat tube junctions.
I had an irritating crack/creak for a couple weeks...cracked in the welds. I didnt see it till i had the bike upturned.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
If it's coming from the pedals it will be the BB axle fretting inside the bearing races. Is it?

It stops when I stand up. So I don't think it's the crank.

The seatpost is a good place to look first for unidentified creaks..
Take out post, clean. smear of grease and put back.

Seat post cleaned and greased during my lunch break. Hopefully my ride home will be a quiet one!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My boardman mtb had a really annoying creak and it took ages to track it down. Like you it disappeared when i was out of the saddle, and it actually turned out to be the saddle. I quick nip up of the saddle bolt and a small amount of grease on the clamp sorted it. I hope this is of any use to you buddy
Ah, yes, you didn't do like me.
I ignored the creak, thinking it was the BB on it's way out, eventually the saddle clamp bolt split at 6am, on a dark, icy morning, on the commute.
I had to ride 4 miles standing up :heat:

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I too have been having this problem! It drives me mad! I will look at tightening it later and see if it's still there - I feel like its the saddle too.

What grease do people use for the saddle stem? It wasn't very lubed the last time I changed it with the other saddle stem...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I too have been having this problem! It drives me mad! I will look at tightening it later and see if it's still there - I feel like its the saddle too.

What grease do people use for the saddle stem? It wasn't very lubed the last time I changed it with the other saddle stem...

Any grease will do. You dont need a lot. Just clean the seat post, give the inside of the seat tube a clean and put back together

Last edited:
Top Bottom