Creaky clucky noise coming from somewhere

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a Dawes Karakum for about a month now and for a week it has made a creaky noise when I pedal. I did change the pedals earlier and thought it was loose pedals so checked them and it's not that I greased the pedal where I thought it was coming from and the problem is still there. When I was on my bike last time I really listened and it seemed to come from the seatpost or saddle. I've tried to grease seatpost but then noticed the saddle was moving side to side which is probably the cause of the creaks and it seems there is no bolt to tighten it. I'm thinking of getting a different seatpost but I don't know?

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I've had a Dawes Karakum for about a month now and for a week it has made a creaky noise when I pedal. I did change the pedals earlier and thought it was loose pedals so checked them and it's not that I greased the pedal where I thought it was coming from and the problem is still there. When I was on my bike last time I really listened and it seemed to come from the seatpost or saddle. I've tried to grease seatpost but then noticed the saddle was moving side to side which is probably the cause of the creaks and it seems there is no bolt to tighten it. I'm thinking of getting a different seatpost but I don't know?
Clicky not clucky lol

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Try riding it without sitting down...if the noise stops, you'll know it's something to do with the saddle. If it doesn't, that rules it out. Most noise-fixing is like that...you have to think up ingenious ways to 'cut bits out of the mix' - when the noise stops, you know it's the bit you cut out.

The bolt you need to tighten is under the saddle between the seat rails. It’s a bit of a mare to get to, but a long shaft Allen key will reach it.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Possible Allen key under saddle.
Found the problem (few weeks ago). It was the bottom bracket. It wasn't broken but the person who installed it, probably the Dawes factory where it was built, did a bad job. Apparently, according to my LBS, when a bottom bracket is installed it has to be filed to flatten a section of it (don't know what section), this section was not flattened which caused the noise

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Found the problem (few weeks ago). It was the bottom bracket. It wasn't broken but the person who installed it, probably the Dawes factory where it was built, did a bad job. Apparently, according to my LBS, when a bottom bracket is installed it has to be filed to flatten a section of it (don't know what section), this section was not flattened which caused the noise
They speaketh much cobblers.

Removing and refitting the offending item is enough to stop nearly all noises.

CXRAndy

Guru
Most common noises are where body contacts bike, so seats/seatposts, pedals/bottom brackets, handlebar/steerer components. You should be able to listen for area of noise and work from there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It takes a square taper, so the LBS is talking rubbish. You don't need the BB shall faced fit square taper cartridge.

The cause will most likely be the BB or lock ring not tight enough - dead simple, but creaks show up fast if not tight enough. Same happens with GXP BB's - you think they are tight, check no movement, then see the 60NM sign on the BB - that means VERY tight !

Top Bottom