Creaky Crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Just had a first few rides on my Planet X Tempest and noticed that following winter storage (Asgard Shed) the bike's crank has developed a creak. Nothing seems lose and I oiled chain etc but it seems internal.
Any ideas what it could be before I take it to a local mechanic?
Thanks

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Is is the crank, or the pedal, or the rear wheel skewer/thru-axle? Or a mouse in there?

It may just need a few miles to loosen up the internal grease after storage.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Yes, bottom bracket. Not sure why I called it a crank. Have done a few miles now and it still creaks.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is it that work of the devil a press fit?

Edit: Checked, it's a tit frame so threaded so most likely a Hollowtech. Likely not the bearings so might be where the LH crank attaches so grease that, but grease them to be sure. More likely to be the pedals though.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Is it that work of the devil a press fit?

Edit: Checked, it's a tit frame so threaded so most likely a Hollowtech. Likely not the bearings so might be where the LH crank attaches so grease that, but grease them to be sure. More likely to be the pedals though.

If it's a Tempest it's most likely to be SRAM geared an therefore a GXP BB. I'd take the cranks off (8mm Allen key) check the BB is properly tight on both sides and then refit the cranks to see if that makes it any better. This is based on the 'first few rides' bit meaning a relatively new/low mileage bike. If it's done a few miles (2000+) without a change of BB you might consider treating it to a new one - preferably the Praxis M24 from Tredz/Tweeks/Merlin.

presta

Guru
I had a creak that occurred when I was giving it a bit of stick, and after looking around the crank area it turned out to be the bar clamp (because you tend to pull on the bars when you pedal hard).

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks for the above - much appreciated. Well it could be my osteoporosis knee causing the creak but it's more of a loud clicking sound.
Like the idea of treating the PX Tempest to a new BB, so can a very amateur cycle mechanic fit a Praxis M24?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thanks for the above - much appreciated. Well it could be my osteoporosis knee causing the creak but it's more of a loud clicking sound.
Like the idea of treating the PX Tempest to a new BB, so can a very amateur cycle mechanic fit a Praxis M24?

If you can change/fit a standard GXP, you can fit a Praxis M24 - it's a direct replacement, the same size, uses the same tool but is of better quality

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just had a first few rides on my Planet X Tempest and noticed that following winter storage (Asgard Shed) the bike's crank has developed a creak. Nothing seems lose and I oiled chain etc but it seems internal.
Any ideas what it could be before I take it to a local mechanic?
Thanks
Check that the noise is still there when riding out of the saddle. I have been convinced that noises were coming from the transmission but they turned out to be coming the saddle or seatpost! (If so, they stop when pedalling out of the saddle, and come back when you sit down.)

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom