Creaky Crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for the above - much appreciated. Well it could be my osteoporosis knee causing the creak but it's more of a loud clicking sound.
Like the idea of treating the PX Tempest to a new BB, so can a very amateur cycle mechanic fit a Praxis M24?

Creak or click? So many different possibilities and in my experience a creak and click are two very different beasts. My first thought is this. Creaks which sound as though they come from the bottom bracket can come from many different areas.

Does the creak stop if you stand and continue pedalling?
Yes? then check seat post, seat rails, seat post clamp
No? Pedals and cleats assuming you are clipless
Does the creak disappear if you change the angle of your foot? I ride with my feet flat, from time to time I get a creak which disappears if I drop my heel so angling the toe upwards. This means it's time to lube cleats and pedals
Have you checked the headset area?

I'd look at all those before getting involved with disassembling the BB area

A click? Is it only present when pedalling? Is it only heard in certain gears? If so check the front mech is correctly aligned. Stiff link or worn chain? From the rear wheel? Loose spoke or free hub.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Yes thanks as soon as the weather gets a little better i will go through such a checklist before going back to the BB.
For pedals: i assume a squirt of grease?

Top Bottom