creaky spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tel

Veteran
At least I suspect it is the spokes. I had to true up my front wheel after having an accident that caused a buckle however when I took it out today there was a creaking which was consistent with 1 revolution of the wheel, however it does not creak without any weight over it. I also deflated the tyre and re-inflated to see if it required re-seating which made no difference.

I've just been over the wheel checking the spoke tension and they seem fairly even.

What action shall I take?

FOAD

Have you by chance tightened the front wheel too much?

I was getting rediculous creaking from the front end. As soon as I loosened it a bit the creaking went (and my carbon forks opened up about 2 cm lol).

PpPete

Legendary Member
Try stressing the spokes to take out any residual twist. Wheel off bike, skewer out, lay it flat with axle on block of wood. Push down on rim all the way round, turn over & repeat. Check still true and all spokes still tight & even tension. If it still creaks after that the problem is more likely in the hub than the spoke.

rusky

CC Addict
Did you sort this? I have a similar problem with a rear wheel that was rebuilt by a lbs.

it doesn't happen every revolution & sometimes I think it's more than one in a revolution.

Spoke tension varies from a dullish boing to a ping but the wheel is true.

rusky said:
Did you sort this? I have a similar problem with a rear wheel that was rebuilt by a lbs.

it doesn't happen every revolution & sometimes I think it's more than one in a revolution.

Spoke tension varies from a dullish boing to a ping but the wheel is true.

This won't be residual twist (this occurs when wheels are built and the spoke twists as the nipple is tightened - the twist is soon undone under load) so I would check (1)the tensions in the spokes and (2)the hub for excessive wear as a starting point.

rusky

CC Addict
The tension does vary a fair bit (going by the sound when I pluck them).

I'll check the hub for play

PpPete

Legendary Member
Rusky
Wheel rebuilt by LBS + Noticealy different spoke tensions = avoid LBS in future.

Learn to do it yourself - it really isn't that difficult.

rusky

CC Addict
porkypete said:
Rusky
Wheel rebuilt by LBS + Noticealy different spoke tensions = avoid LBS in future.

Learn to do it yourself - it really isn't that difficult.

Any tips/recommended reading??

rusky said:
Any tips/recommended reading??

Building a wheel with the correct tension in the spokes needs a lot of practice and a spoke tension measuring tool.

I'd take it back to the lbs (or another one) and ask them to have a look at it.

If the sounds are coming from the spokes there is a bit of play under load at either the nipple end,the hub end(where the hole in the hub has worn) or where the crossing spokes contact each other.

In each case the spoke will be wearing away and will fail eventually.

Top Bottom