Creating a 'sticky' post on facebook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is there a simple way of creating a post on facebook which is always at the top of the home page?

I know it can be done because I've seen fundraising pages where an outline of the person's effort is always the first post - Kajsa Tylen's facebook for her marathon cycle ride is an example.

The reason I ask is my cycling group would like such a summary post to always be at the top of our page.

It's a closed facebook group if that makes any difference.

Big Andy

Über Member
You can pin a post.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You can pin a post.

Sounds like that should do it.

I'm not an administrator for the site, but presumably those that are will have access to a pin post command.

Is it readily apparent?

None of us - admins or not - a very skilled at facebook.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it readily apparent?
The "pin post" command is, but be aware that the pinned post will be hidden from mobile users unless they click the "View Pinned Post>" link near the top of the page:
Screenshot from 2017-01-16 13:04:51.png

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The "pin post" command is, but be aware that the pinned post will be hidden from mobile users unless they click the "View Pinned Post>" link near the top of the page:
View attachment 333570

For this very point my cycle club does not pin posts. So many people access FB, and the web in general, via mobiles we found members were not seeing information.

If something needs emphasis a committee member bumps the post.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
For this very point my cycle club does not pin posts. So many people access FB, and the web in general, via mobiles we found members were not seeing information.

If something needs emphasis a committee member bumps the post.
This also true, had issues with my clubs pages

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Would a non-member of a closed group - using a laptop - be able to see a pinned post?

The overall aim is to bring forward a few new members.

We are considering making the group public, but the two admins are understandably reluctant to get involved in moderation.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Would a non-member of a closed group - using a laptop - be able to see a pinned post?

The overall aim is to bring forward a few new members.

We are considering making the group public, but the two admins are understandably reluctant to get involved in moderation.

If the group is closed, then only the memebers of the group can see anything that is posted within the group. No one from outside can see anything.

However, anyone can see the name of a group and it's members and what the group is about.

No one can join a closed group unless the admins approve and add them to the group.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If the group is closed, then only the memebers of the group can see anything that is posted within the group. No one from outside can see anything.

However, anyone can see the name of a group and it's members and what the group is about.

No one can join a closed group unless the admins approve and add them to the group.

I'm hoping the admins will make the group public.

There's only a couple of new posts each week, but if people can read the ride reports, see some pics, and read the limited amount of banter it will give them a better idea of what the group is about.

Happily, the drive for new members is not urgent, but a couple of the stalwarts who helped keep the group going have left.

It's a case of we would like a few new members, but not too many.

Group rides of 20 or more can be quite hard to manage, even with our relaxed flat bar tootling approach to cycling.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's a case of we would like a few new members, but not too many.
You could open the page (open group) then post the ride as events for all to see and join.
When it gets near the number close the event.
Mind, this won't stop people showing up anyway, or indeed people not turning up at all.
True about the pinned posts on mobile, one cannot see them unless you reveal them.
Having a web page of any sort invariably leads to some admin work :smile:

Top Bottom