Credit Crunch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I was thinking the other day that if you get laid off now, then it would be the ideal time to go

Reduce your living costs as low as you can for 12 mths, then come back when the market is better for jobhunting

But if you already have a stable job, much harder to decide to chuck it in.

Try asking for a year off unpaid.......

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Absolutly DO IT. Live...dont get sucked down into mundane reality..break out and do it.

ChrisCrc

GO FOR IT!! ( at 27 years old you still have your whole life ahead of you)
I am going to do the exactly the same thing next year ( But in Europe ), and too be honest I CANT WAIT!!. ( and i'm 47, you are never too old or too young to do something that niggles in the back of your mind.)

good luck whatever you do

Chris

ASC1951

Guru
hubbike said:
would it be irresponsible if I quit my job
On a practical note - if people are being laid off all round you, can you volunteer for redundancy and therefore get a payoff, rather than just quitting? Or waive any payment in return for having your job held open for a year?

Most employers at the moment would be very glad of someone offering to reduce their headcount. Best to leave on good terms if you might want to come back there.

directSkiers

We found ourselves in circumstances - late last summer- where I was about to be made redundant and my husband had been granted voluntary redundancy. We both agreed that, if we didn't have children, we'd have taken the opportunity to go off to the Alps and do a ski season, perhaps running a chalet. However, we HAVE got children so it wasn't feasible, but for a little while there, the brain was ticking over and the idea was very attractive :biggrin: I think the point I'm making is, if you are free and single, and in a job which, if you are out of it for 6 months or a year, it won't make a big dent in your career, then go for it. It's not a rehearsal you know ;)

meic

I did the same thing when I was 27, almost 20 years ago.
When you go for jobs you hear plenty of oh, that is wonderful, what a great experience you had, then they give the job to a better more conventional candidate.
However there is no right or wrong decision. You will have a life whichever way you choose. It will have its good and its bad.
From my travels I got to learn a lot about people across the world. This makes it impossible to swallow the crap that we are fed from the government and media. I have a different set of values which means i dont give a damm about being first off the lights, having new toys or other falsities.
I have a foreign wife and two "mixed race" kids who I love more than anything else in the world. On the other hand I have a degree and Post Grad that are worthless with my work history and I am officially below the poverty line.
Are you living your life for you or for someone else?
If you dont really want to go then for Gods sake DO NOT DO IT.
If you want to know and have got to travel and to see with your own eyes how can you resist?

A final word. It all becomes VERY ORDINARY after a while.:biggrin:

Top Bottom