Cree Chinese 1600 lumen bike lights. How bright are they?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
Obviously you can't show how bright with your hands! But just curious if anybody has one. I'm thinking of buying one and would like to know if they're good enough for commuting.
Model name: Cree xml t-6 1600lm.
I did see a thread once on bike lights, but can't find it now.
If anybody has one of these 1600 lumen Chinese lights, or similar please let me know your opinion.
Or, if anybody has taken photos at night to show the strength of the lights, please could you post a photo.

Cheers.

Psyclist.

Stonepark

Über Member
Obviously you can't show how bright with your hands! But just curious if anybody has one. I'm thinking of buying one and would like to know if they're good enough for commuting.
Model name: Cree xml t-6 1600lm.
I did see a thread once on bike lights, but can't find it now.
If anybody has one of these 1600 lumen Chinese lights, or similar please let me know your opinion.
Or, if anybody has taken photos at night to show the strength of the lights, please could you post a photo.

Cheers.

Psyclist.

Max brightness through a cree xml t6 is 700 lumen....

Cool White 5000 K 8300 K Model 700mA 1000mA 1500mA 2000mA
T5 260 360 511 643 lumens
T6 280 388 551 692 lumens
U2 300 416 590 742 lumens

If you want to see a comparison of bulbs, below site is quite good....

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html

HovR

Über Member
About this bright.

High.JPG

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Max brightness through a cree xml t6 is 700 lumen....

Cool White 5000 K 8300 K Model 700mA 1000mA 1500mA 2000mA
T5 260 360 511 643 lumens
T6 280 388 551 692 lumens
U2 300 416 590 742 lumens

If you want to see a comparison of bulbs, below site is quite good....

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html

Thanks both of you, but the guy on the ad I found, is saying it's 1600lm.

Ad description:

"Bike bar mount torch Cree 1600lm XM-L T6 led light plus 18650 battery + charger

Hi and welcome to my listing for a Cree T6 Led Torch kit.

As a biker I know how frustrating it is when you have to wait weeks for an item to arrive from China, Hong Kong etc only for it to arrive and be a disappointing waste of money or to have issues when things go wrong.

After a few years of this I decided I could do a better job myself so I've chosen a few items that I feel are good quality and do what you want them to but that I think are still really good value for money.

This little torch is one of my favourite's for a few reasons.

Its really well made, extremely bright and gives a great beam pattern with no hot spot.

I use one handle bar mounted plus a head torch for Mountain biking and just one of these bar mounted for road use.

I run all my lights through two battery cycles before shipping to ensure they are ok :-)

You will receive the following..

Torch

Charger

bar mount

18650 battery (add another for £1.50)

adapaptor to use AAA batteries

Car charger (ideal for charging on the way to a last minute night ride)

1600 Lm Zoomable CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch 18650 Car Charger

Description:

100% Brand New CREE XM-L T6 LED Adjustable Focus Torch
Made of high quality 6061T aluminum alloy, this flashlight is sturdy and durable enough for long time daily using
Lamp base: CREE, high power LED. With a lifespan of up to 100,000 hours or more, no need to consider replacing the cap for the whole life.
Water resistant/splash proof

7 Mode: high / middle / low / strobe / sos / Zoom In & Zoom Out
Bulb: CREE XM-L T6 LED
Switch Location: Tailcap
Max output: 1600 lumens
Power by: 1x 18650 3.6v/3.7v OR 3X AAA battery
Size(mm):135 x 34(bezel)/26(body)
Net Weight (g): 145g
Color: Black."

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Don't worry too much about the numbers each ebay seller quotes, they seem to be trying to out do eachother with the size of the lumenfish theyve caught ;)

They're very bright by normal branded light standards, usually with a couple of brightness modes and a silly flashing mode. The build quality tends to be okay if you treat them well, but IMHO you pay for what you get so they dont appreciate tugging on the wires or carrying the battery by its wire for example and you absolutely want a backup light. They're blindingly intense to oncoming traffic too so need to be careful with that, but they are awesome for unlit country lanes and tracks.

I prefer the battery pack ones to the torches, im not sure what the battery life on a single 18650 powering a T6 is though, im just guessing its not great.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Don't worry too much about the numbers each ebay seller quotes, they seem to be trying to out do eachother with the size of the lumenfish theyve caught ;)

They're very bright by normal branded light standards, usually with a couple of brightness modes and a silly flashing mode. The build quality tends to be okay if you treat them well, but IMHO you pay for what you get so they dont appreciate tugging on the wires or carrying the battery by its wire for example and you absolutely want a backup light. They're blindingly intense to oncoming traffic too so need to be careful with that, but they are awesome for unlit country lanes and tracks.

I prefer the battery pack ones to the torches, im not sure what the battery life on a single 18650 powering a T6 is though, im just guessing its not great.

On high power about 45 minutes, depending on ambient temp, the quality of the driver and AH of the battery.

musa

Über Member
the torches are bright enough the throw is not far but for city riding its fine i ran two of them till i got a hv1 and t6 light (like the magicshine)

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Thanks for the replies. It's actually on my local forums buy & sell. I'll probably buy one anyway as it's already in the U.K, and is cheaper to buy.

Doseone

Guru
I've got one and it am really pleased with it. Plenty bright enough for riding around unlit country lanes at speed. As said above though build quality is suspect - I've not had a problem but you have to treat it reasonably gently, although mine has had an absolute soaking with no issues. I use mine every night for walking the dog. I'm not sure what the burn time is on full beam as I haven't been out for more than about an hour max. When it goes it goes though - no warning, no gradual dimming, so if you are going to be out for a while have a back up. Oh and the charger is a house fire waiting to happen. For £37 it's great value.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
I've got one and it am really pleased with it. Plenty bright enough for riding around unlit country lanes at speed. As said above though build quality is suspect - I've not had a problem but you have to treat it reasonably gently, although mine has had an absolute soaking with no issues. I use mine every night for walking the dog. I'm not sure what the burn time is on full beam as I haven't been out for more than about an hour max. When it goes it goes though - no warning, no gradual dimming, so if you are going to be out for a while have a back up. Oh and the charger is a house fire waiting to happen. For £37 it's great value.

Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be buying this weekend :thumbsup:

Top Bottom