Creeping soapboxisation...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
domtyler said:
I blame the [New Posts] button, I just click it to see what other people are posting on and then just add my bit. I often/usually don't even know which forum the thread is in. My laziness I guess, but it is still a valid excuse :ohmy:
I'm the same Dom, I'll post in New Posts then think "where the feck did that go ?" !!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I've set my account to automatically subscribe to threads I've posted in.

Can't lose track that way and I get a nice little tick next to every post that contains some of my meaningless waffle :ohmy:

lardarse rider

bonj said:
Why can't we just abolish all threads that involve discussion (or non-discussion come to that) of tea, biscuits, cakes, anything that's a cross between a cake and a biscuit, flapjacks, muffins, in fact any food, cycling (there are more relevant forums), or anything rank?

Does that include Jaffa Cakes?:ohmy::biggrin:

SamNichols

Bonj - as cyclists we have a duty to recommend Jaffa Cakes: they are recommended by Sports Nutritionists you know. See the packet if you don't believe me (although they may have taken that lie off the packet now).

The poetry thread seems to have calmed down since it moved, though. That's a shame, it was pretty funny.

bonj2

SamNichols said:
Bonj - as cyclists we have a duty to recommend Jaffa Cakes: they are recommended by Sports Nutritionists you know. See the packet if you don't believe me (although they may have taken that lie off the packet now).

The poetry thread seems to have calmed down since it moved, though. That's a shame, it was pretty funny.

hmmm... sport nutritionists that are paid to recommend them probably, but they're still probably quite good. they've got jam in so quite sugary, but cake aswell so probably a bit of carbs for when the sugar runs out.
they're one of those things that I eat if someone else has cracked a pack open but wouldn't bother buying any myself.
If they had thicker chocolate and the cake layer was crunchy biscuit instead of soft cake then i'd definitely buy them.

ChrisKH

Guru
bonj said:
hmmm... sport nutritionists that are paid to recommend them probably, but they're still probably quite good. they've got jam in so quite sugary, but cake aswell so probably a bit of carbs for when the sugar runs out.
they're one of those things that I eat if someone else has cracked a pack open but wouldn't bother buying any myself.
If they had thicker chocolate and the cake layer was crunchy biscuit instead of soft cake then i'd definitely buy them.

But then bonj they would fail to be a cake and would become a biscuit. And VAT would have to be applied to the final sale price making them more expensive.

SamNichols

No, not the perennial Jaffa cake/biscuit debate. If we open up this can of worms then the thread really will be booted to Soapbox: urban riots happen not because of urban disintegration, but normally because of the jaffa cake debate.

Has anyone ever noticed now jaffa cakes always taste a little bit stale?

bonj2

SamNichols said:
No, not the perennial Jaffa cake/biscuit debate. If we open up this can of worms then the thread really will be booted to Soapbox: urban riots happen not because of urban disintegration, but normally because of the jaffa cake debate.
:biggrin: :ohmy:
SamNichols said:
Has anyone ever noticed now jaffa cakes always taste a little bit stale?

no but I did notice the other day how an asda prawn baguette was stale - bloody hell! I nearly broke my jaw eating the damn thing! :biggrin::cry:!

bonj2

ChrisKH said:
But then bonj they would fail to be a cake and would become a biscuit. And VAT would have to be applied to the final sale price making them more expensive.

but there's VAT on cakes aswell surely
now you know i struggle to see where the line is drawn between cycling and walking. But you can't seriously expect me to believe a line can be drawn between a cake and a biscuit!

SamNichols

Cakes and biscuits are VAT zero rated as they are a food stuff; chocolate covered biscuits are classed as a 'luxury good', which isn't VAT zero. McVities were taken to court by Customs and Excise due to this 'important distinction'. The jaffa cake was then said to be a cake, by an actual court judgment.
The Journal of Unlikely Science, then recategorised it as a 'Pseudo-biscuit' in 2005.

The journal article is pay only, unfortunately, and I can't find the email someone sent me, but the Wikipedia entry is very enlightening.

Top Bottom