Cricket but no bin Laden in the team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
no bin laden in the team?

what about paddy o'bin laden?

...just for the gully ball amongst us...

Why do people have to point out the bleedin' obvious all the time? ;)

Of course, Osama bin Laden wasn't Afghanistani - he just played for them once or twice, and, as he has been resident for a while it seems only right to offer him a spot. An explosive batter, with a turn of pace to lead any attack, this man will cause terror in the minds of the Irish team. He hates cricket teas though, and refuses a top-up from the jug after the game.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yes, yes, I know he isn't Afghan but at any one time neither is 50% of the England team.:;)

Anyway, the Afghans beat the Irish which is fairly amazing.

Does anyone of a certain age remember 'The Wolf of Kabul' from The Hotspur in the sixties? His sidekick used a cricket bat as a weapon.:biggrin:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I know I'm flogging a dead horse here but here's an extract from the Hotspur/ Wizard

"The Wolf of Kabul appeared in Wizard and Hotspur beginning in 1922. The
Wolf was actually 2nd lieutenant Bill Sampson, an agent for the British
Intelligence Corps who operated in the Northwest frontier of India. He
always dressed as a native and could easily pass for one except for the
little matter of his blue eyes, which often betray him. Not that this ever
posed a problem for tough ole Bill, however; with his twin knives Bill took
on all comers, which were usually "wily Pathans" and other such brutal,
unwashed natives. He got no small amount of help in this from Chung, his
native servant and friend, who was lethal with his "clicky-ba" cricket bat.
After killing men Chung would remark, his eyes tearing, "Lord, I am full of
humble sorrow - I did not mean to knock down these men - 'Clicky-ba' merely
turned in my hand"

My Dad used to give me 2/- pocket money per week, and, before 08:00 each Saturday, I would go round to A V Apps aka 'Fred's' and purchase The Hotspur, The Hornet, The Victor, The Valiant...temporarily disturbing said 'Fred' from puffing on his massive 'breakfast' pipe, which filled the shop with fumes!

Come to think of it rich, did you model yourself on Alf Tupper during your running career? :wacko:

Braddock VC, Captain Hurricane and 'Maggot'...I feel a memory lane google coming on...

And the Summer Specials - the extra thick versions of the comic with a GLOSSY cover - wow!

And, from time to time a rare treat. A Commando comic - those small books of derring-do for us post-war kiddies. :biggrin:
Sorry OT - as usual :biggrin:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Aperitif said:
And, from time to time a rare treat. A Commando comic - those small books of derring-do for us post-war kiddies. :biggrin:
Sorry OT - as usual :wacko:

Still OT

They were great, even for us *cough* youngsters...

Knife for a Nazi anyone?

Commando0016.jpg

Surely you mean the free printed balsa wood glider stuck to the comic's front, or perhaps a parachutist to sling out of the window? :wacko:

The Afrika Corps in tan plastic were good value, the Boulton Paul Defiant was a hard fix as it was made in black plastic, but I was ever envious of American kids who could get about 40,000 pieces of infantry AND mechanicals for about $2.99
- that was the biggest miff when reading Marvel Comics - those lucky American kids...X-ray specs, exploding gum, foaming drinks etc...the lot!:biggrin:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Brilliant, such naive times when we thought it was okay to slaughter Japs and Hun. (Some people still do!)

I was too conformist to be Alf Tupper, Ape. He was a hero though. He'd have his kit nicked, be cursed by a gypsy, given false directions by a toff opponent and still just mamnage to win the race after being tripped up by the toff's trainer. Mary Slainey - look and learn!

Top Bottom