Crickey; I don't know s**t about touring bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
PrettyboyTim said:
Racks Trailers is for shoppin' and strappin' fo big things to. :smile:

FTFY. consider the % of the time you will need to carry stuff as a % of the time you will be on the bike, then go buy an EBC trailer (if you have somewhere to store it) But a cheap second hand mtb stick a rack on it, perfect shopping bike and you won't have to lug 5kg of lock around the shops with you.:biggrin:

Long rides = risk of weather changing #1 = for me the need for mudguards = clearance
Long rides = risk of weather changing #2 = for me the need to carry a bit of gear = saddlebag
Long rides = risk of getting tired legs = triple or compact with wide range cassette
Long rides = risk of getting battered = fatter tyres at lower pressure

Now you know I have a thing about the genesis (which Evans iirc) cos I'm a big lad and am addicted to stopping and can't resist bridleways "ow, what's down there, where does that go?" but the Trek Pilot 2 has the look of a long fast all day ride bike in the modern stylee to me.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

I have a trailer, but it's only convenient for really big stuff over short distances. I much prefer to have a rack. I'll be riding the bike to work, so I like having a pannier for if I pick something up at lunchtime, or if I want to take something to or from work.

The Evans guys are getting a Dawes Horizon in for me to have a ride on sometime next week. Should be interesting comparing the ride of the steel frame to the Trek Pilot's aluminium one. I think I'll also see if I can have a go on the 55cm Trek Pilot to see if having the handlebars a couple of centimetres closer makes a difference to me.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I agree with Greg on everything bar possibly the rack/no rack bit. I was looking at Carradice etc myself and have ended up going back to a rack and my Arkel Tailrider rackpack instead. I came to the conclusion that the only reason to skip the rack would be aesthetics or weight saving on those rare occasions I would only need a tiny saddlepack. for regular use a Carradice with a support and QR would work out as heavy, or heavier, than a rack and Arkel. I was actually shocked but how much the Carradice stuff weighed in at.

The rack won out for me as it also incorporates a greater versatility and stability. Plus I don't like buckles:biggrin:

Mistral and I were discussing and comparing my Arkel to his Carradice on our last couple of rides. He's planning on getting an Arkel at some point.

g00se

Veteran
As you have to use Evans a bit of info: There was a Kona Sutra in the back of the Spitalfields branch and a a couple of other tourers (sorry, can't recall the type now). Also, if you ask them, they can check which other branches have what bikes too.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
PrettyboyTim said:
I have a trailer, but it's only convenient for really big stuff over short distances. I much prefer to have a rack. I'll be riding the bike to work, so I like having a pannier for if I pick something up at lunchtime, or if I want to take something to or from work.

The Evans guys are getting a Dawes Horizon in for me to have a ride on sometime next week. Should be interesting comparing the ride of the steel frame to the Trek Pilot's aluminium one. I think I'll also see if I can have a go on the 55cm Trek Pilot to see if having the handlebars a couple of centimetres closer makes a difference to me.

I ride to work and use a saddlebag, but if you want a rack, get a rack;)

bike size; get the frame that fits your body/leg size best and put a shorter stem on is what I'd do. there is a weird fashion these days for riding bikes that are too small. for all day comfort bigger is better imo.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacB said:
I agree with Greg on everything bar possibly the rack/no rack bit. I was looking at Carradice etc myself and have ended up going back to a rack and my Arkel Tailrider rackpack instead. I came to the conclusion that the only reason to skip the rack would be aesthetics or weight saving on those rare occasions I would only need a tiny saddlepack. for regular use a Carradice with a support and QR would work out as heavy, or heavier, than a rack and Arkel. I was actually shocked but how much the Carradice stuff weighed in at.

The rack won out for me as it also incorporates a greater versatility and stability. Plus I don't like buckles:troll:

Mistral and I were discussing and comparing my Arkel to his Carradice on our last couple of rides. He's planning on getting an Arkel at some point.

leather and buckles... what is not to like? Actually I swore at mine a couple of weeks back, stopped on a club ride to take a layer off, could I get the ruddy buckle done up without getting off the bike, could I heck...

For me with two (plus one being built) road going bikes on the fleet SQR block on each and a saddlebag gives me ultimate versatility. You arguments here, and in other threads, re racks are very compelling mind.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

So I'm going to try out the Dawes Horizon at some point this week, but I might also see if I can try out the Claud Butler Dalesman - what do you think? I don't really know how the components compare. Here's the Evans comaprison page:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products-comparison?products=ec022484|ec018623

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the frames the thing, everything else wears out, go for the best frame and fork you can afford. so Dalesman vs Horizon the Dalesman wins (at a price) Frame and fork made of higher end tubesets/steel. Better kit on it too. The voyage is essentially a Horizon competitor and the Panorama is a seriously well specced and well made bike for the money. So for my money it would be between the Dalesman and the Panorama. Ideally you only buy one tourer per lifetime so make it the best one you can afford. (Which means go look at a Surly Long Haul Trucker too!)

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

Today I tried out both the Dawes Horizon and the Ridgeback Panorama.

I tried the Horizon first - it was a little heavier than I expected; I guess I'd been spoiled a bit by the aluminium-framed Trek Pilot 2.0 I tried first. It was a nice ride, although I wasn't a big fan of the gear switchers. There was an obvious difference between it and the trek when it came down to road vibration, but I wasn't sure how much of that was due to the steel frame and how much was due to the larger tyres. Anyway, it was an enjoyable ride.

Next I tried the Panorama. I was immediately struck by how much prettier the bike was, which I'll be honest made it difficult to judge the two bikes impartially. The panorama had pedals with SPDs on one side and flats on the others (the Horizon had been set up with toeclips), so I put on my cycling shoes and gave it a try. I preferred the shifters, and again enjoyed the ride. I preferred it to the Horizon; but it's difficult to say why. Perhaps I prefer riding a prettier bike and was projecting that onto the ride. What I definitely did like though was the addition of the dual-control brakes.

With both bikes, I still found riding on the hoods a bit weird; riding with the thenar space of my hand directly on the brake hoods was uncomfortable - too much pressure on that joint. Resting the base of my hands about 3cm back was much more comfortable and it's not a big move to the brakes. However, braking on the hoods still doesn't feel right - it doesn't feel like I'd get enough mechanical advantage to stop the bike quickly. It was nice to have several different places to put my hands although to be honest the lower parts of the drop handlebars seem rather useless to me - I can hardly see myself using them.

Anyway, right now I'm thinking of going for the Panorama. It was a lovely bike.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
as a drop bar convert - trust me, you get used to it. and you'll probably bin the cross top levers when you want to put a bar bag on to go touring.

Now stop teasing us all and buy one.

g00se

Veteran
PrettyboyTim said:
I mailed the HR folks about sorting out a voucher earlier today. I hope the process doesn't take too long!

Mine took about 2 months.....!

Don't think that's the norm though!

Top Bottom