Crime & Punishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
just noticed a story on the Beeb about an escaped convict possibly being spotted in Preston last week.

Cyrus was serving life for robbery when he absconded from North Sea Camp open prison near Boston on 9 October.
Cyrus, who also has convictions for sex offences, failed to return to the prison after being let out on day release.

What exactly is an 'open' prison... and why should somebody serving a life sentence, and have convictions for sex offences, get day release?

I've always assumed the point of prison is you are not let out until you make parole.

I'm doubly baffled reading:

Det Ch Insp Ian Dawson said: "[he] is an extremely dangerous and predatory individual who poses a serious threat to members of the public.
"He has previous convictions for burglary, sex offences against a young girl, assault and robberies in which he has targeted elderly people in their own homes.
"I would remind people that he is violent and should not be approached."

numbnuts

Legendary Member
getting out on day release is part of their rehabilitation, no doubt he will be not going out again if he's caught again

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
As I understand it, technically you can only abscond from an open prison, as there aren't any walls preventing you from leaving. The walls are replaced by regular roll calls to determine if anyone has absconded.

Day release is part of their rehabilitation. It's not very progressive or practical to release someone from a high security prison, where every door is always locked, and expect them to immediately adapt to 100% freedom, and be able to find a job and be able to contribute to society. A category D (or open prison) is a stepping stone for greater freedom and becoming a normally functioning member of society.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
As I understand it, technically you can only abscond from an open prison, as there aren't any walls preventing you from leaving. The walls are replaced by regular roll calls to determine if anyone has absconded.

Day release is part of their rehabilitation. It's not very progressive or practical to release someone from a high security prison, where every door is always locked, and expect them to immediately adapt to 100% freedom, and be able to find a job and be able to contribute to society. A category D (or open prison) is a stepping stone for greater freedom and becoming a normally functioning member of society.

.......or at least that's the theory!!!!!

asterix

Comrade Member

Det Ch Insp Ian Dawson said: "Leach is an extremely dangerous and predatory individual who poses a serious threat to members of the public.

So a bit early on the way to 'becoming a normally functioning member of society', wouldn't you say? Depends where you live maybe?

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
So a bit early on the way to 'becoming a normally functioning member of society', wouldn't you say? Depends where you live maybe?

I'm guessing that the assertions of Det. Ch. Insp. Dawson are based on the suspicion that he has committed offences since absconding, rather than that he was considered to be high risk when transferred to a category D prison and given day release. Sometimes when prisoners are transferred to category D prisons, it becomes evident that the decision to transfer them was wrong. Even the best probation officers, parole baords and psychiatrists get it wrong sometimes. The alternative is to lock them all up and throw away the key, to guard against the risk that someone who is still dangerous is released.

Top Bottom