cripes....! ill never get that fast.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

got-to-get-fit said:
Briank.....wow thats very zen like, i feel an inner peace now.

I timed myself coming home from work last night - my commute is 11 mile. I did it on my mountain bike with knobbly tyres cos my road bike is in the LBS getting the wheel re-fitted after damaging the rear hub.

I really went for it and was knackered when i got home but i managed a time of 34 mins which i was pretty chuffed with. The run is fairly flat and im ashamed to say i jumped a couple of red lights...not normally my thing but i needed the continuous motion to be able to time myself properly.

If i can hit 34 mins on my old mountain bike over 11 mile i think i might not be two shame faced come thursday night. Oh also i had a crack with the blokey in the LBS today and they did not have any tri - bars to fit my road bike as my bars have a flattened profile design. Does anyone know if you can actualy get tri-bars that fit profiled bars?

One of our courses is along the A4 at Woolhampton there is a set of Pedestrian controlled lights, there is a marshall there, if you jump a red, you get disqualified.

Mortiroloboy

briank said:
If you're as self-conscious as I was X years ago, you could always find a ten mile out and back route and time yourself before you go for the real thing.
As has been noted, the adrenalin of the first "real" test will make you go a minute or two quicke. But try to pace yourself: don't start too hard.
More important than such tips though is the strong likelihood that the others will be pleased to see you because-
1 we all remember our first time
2 you'll not be seen as a threat: not yet, anyway
3 most clubs are keen to recruit
Paradoxically, the slower you are, the more your attempt - and persisitence - may be respected. That's what I've seen anyway. The pain is the same for all of us, and s/he who endures it without hoping to triunph is an athlete with purer motives than those who go looking for petty victories.
Good luck.

My experience exactly:smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
briank said:
If you're as self-conscious as I was X years ago, you could always find a ten mile out and back route and time yourself before you go for the real thing.
As has been noted, the adrenalin of the first "real" test will make you go a minute or two quicke. But try to pace yourself: don't start too hard.
More important than such tips though is the strong likelihood that the others will be pleased to see you because-
1 we all remember our first time
2 you'll not be seen as a threat: not yet, anyway
3 most clubs are keen to recruit
Paradoxically, the slower you are, the more your attempt - and persisitence - may be respected. That's what I've seen anyway. The pain is the same for all of us, and s/he who endures it without hoping to triunph is an athlete with purer motives than those who go looking for petty victories.
Good luck.

Seconded. Well expressed.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Well ......i did it. My first time trial that is. Was very nervous at the start but settled in well as the course progressed. Only problem was i went off like a fire crcker at the start and started paying for it on the home straight. the last mile felt like i was trying to cycle up a skyscraper.
I got passed once but it was by one of the clubs senior members so i dont feel too ashamed.
My time was 30.05 ....didnt quite make evens but i was fairly happy. it turns out though i was the slowest male. I suppose its a starting point though and things can only get better.

oh it was quite windy as well.......or at least thats my excuse.

briank

Well done that man!

Evens or better next time then.

Did anyone ask you, "Did you enjoy that then?"?

Silly question, innit?

Mortiroloboy

Yes very well done indeed ;) now you have a time to beat (for that course) and more of an idea of what to expect next time out. On my first TT, what I found odd was trusting myself to the starter, holding me and my bike upright whilst counting me down, I know he can do it now, but first time clipping in I was a tad nervous, didn't want to topple over and make a complete @rse of myself!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Wind: my usual excuse. Even if there isn't any I can always say that I prefer a tailwind out and a headwind home because it "suits my style".

As for going off too quick I'd say it's unavoidable in a first TT and mostly unavoidable in subsequent ones. Every now and then I successfully talk myself into taking it easier for the first couple miles..

oneear

well done for trying!your times can only get better:biggrin:

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Motrioloboy.....i did find that a bit weird ...putting my arm around a man i'd never met...!:wacko:
I had a bit of a wobble but he steadied me fairly well.

Briank....a lot of people asked me if i'd enjoyed it and when i could manage to speak again after cardiac arresting by the side of the road i lied told them i did.:biggrin:

Aperetif....it was a lot easier without the stop start business ....especially setting off already clipped in.

Richk...i have familly issues as well...2 young sons and TT's are smack in the middle of bath, bottle, bed time. I wont be doing it every week as its not fair on the wife.

Keith Oates

Janner
Well done, gtgf, that's close enough to say 'evens' and there are not many that could say that on their first outing. I'm sure your wife wouldn't mind you having another go next week just to prove it can be bettered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom