Never heard this before!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scott addict

A lady approached me while my bike was resting against a wall.my front and back lights were still flashing,she said do you know it’s illegal to use flashing lights on a bike,I said I didn’t know that,you learn something everyday!

Baldy

Über Member
Rubbish, they've been legal for years.

Dadam

There's a cohort of middle age to older drivers who haven't actually read the highway code since they passed their test and thus their mental copy is preserved in aspic from the 50s/60s/70s/80s. It's also usually one that never existed where cyclists are mandated to ride single file in the actual gutter. When you point out that there are regular updates and it's their responsibility to keep up to date they get huffy and start to go on about all the changes being unworkable, unsafe or just rubbish. The ones they don't like that is.

If they start to splutter about change for its own sake or some such it's quite fun to suggest in that case they'd no doubt be happy to have someone with a red flag walking in front of their car.

Alex321

Veteran
A lady approached me while my bike was resting against a wall.my front and back lights were still flashing,she said do you know it’s illegal to use flashing lights on a bike,I said I didn’t know that,you learn something everyday!

There was a time when that was true.

But it changed (as stated by @Ming the Merciless above) in 2005 with The Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment) Regulations 2005
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/2559/regulation/6/made

Provided that the light flashes at a constant rate of between 60 and 240 flashes per minute (above regulation, schedule 2 para 12 for front light, schedule 10 para 12 for rear light).

Which technically makes things like the Varia rear light, which varies the flashing speed as a vehicle approaches, illegal. But I can't see anybody being prosecuted for that.

Maybe she's a regular on the Dunwich Dynamo where flashing rear lights are frowned upon by any and everyone behind, but not illegal! :laugh:

Speaking as someone who learned to drive in a Triumph Dolomite Sprint in the early 1980s I'm pleased to say my copy of the Highway Code is very much not preserved in aspic but (currently) up-to-date and in the glovebox, for testing the offspring when they're learning to drive!

presta

Guru
Another thread on flashing lights full of people with the same misunderstanding of the law that everyone has, including Cateye at one time. I looked into all this 17 years ago at the time I reported Cateye to Trading Standards for incorrect information on their packaging. I checked with the lawyers on my insurance legal helpline that my reading of the law was correct, and being as Trading Standards upheld my complaint and made Cateye change the wording on their products, I assume they agreed with it too.

First, the law relates to two things: what people must do, and what people must not do. Taking the latter, prior to 2005 the law said that flashing lights were prohibited at any time on cycles, and now they are no longer prohibited. You can cover your bike with flashing lights if you please, but then that brings us on to what you must do if you want to cycle at night, and the law says that you must use a lamp that meets either BS6102/3 or SI2559 (2005), or an Equivalent European Spec. So what does SI2559 say?

Well, everyone's familiar with the bit about 4cd and 1-4Hz, but it also says this:

7.—(1) Regulation 18 shall be amended as follows.
(2) In regulation 18(1), for “paragraph 2” there shall be substituted “paragraphs (2), (2A) and (2B)”.
(3) After paragraph (2) there shall be inserted—
“(2A) The requirements specified in paragraph 5(c) and (ca) of Schedule 2 shall not apply in the case of a front position lamp capable of emitting a flashing light which is fitted to—

(i)a pedal cycle; or
(ii)a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle,
unless the lamp is also capable of emitting a steady light.

(2B) The requirements specified in paragraph 5(d) and (e) of Schedule 10 shall not apply in the case of a rear position lamp capable of emitting a flashing light which is fitted to—

(i)a pedal cycle; or
(ii)a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle,
unless the lamp is also capable of emitting a steady light.
"

Paragraphs 5 of Schedules 2 and 10 are the ones that specify that lamps must meet a British Standard:
1692024542255.png

The explanatory notes on SI2559 do what they say on the tin:

"Regulation 7 amends regulation 18 of the 1989 Regulations so as to exempt obligatory front and rear position lamps which flash and are fitted to a pedal cycle or a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle from the marking requirements in paragraph 5(c) and (ca) of Schedule 2 and paragraph 5(d) and (e) of Schedule 10 provided they are not also capable of emitting a steady light."

So the bottom line here is that flashing lamps can only be used as an alternative to a British Standard one if they do not also have a continuous mode. There may be a few lamps on the market that are flashing mode only, but I've never seen one, the vast majority have a continuous mode as well, and therefore must either be approved to BS6102/3, or be used in conjunction with one that is.

This is a copy of the email from the lawyer on my insurance legal helpline, the relevant paragraphs are highlighted in red:

"Dear Mr Presta

Following our conversation earlier today, please find below the information as requested:

The following information is taken from the Department for Transport website:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... 12441.hcsp

The use of lighting and reflectors on pedal bicycles is regulated under the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, as amended. The most recent amendment is Statutory Instrument SI 2005 No. 2559 which came into force on October 23rd 2005.

The main effect of the new Regulations was to permit flashing lights on pedal cycles. The flashing lights do however have to conform to certain requirements which are elaborated below.

Obligatory Lighting and Reflectors
Any cycle which is used during the hours of darkness or during periods of
poor visibility MUST be fitted with the following:
white front light
red rear light
red rear reflector
amber/yellow pedal reflectors - front and rear on each pedal.

The lamps may be steady or flashing, or a mixture - e.g. steady at the front and flashing at the rear. A steady light is recommended at the front when the cycle is used in areas without good street lighting.

**If either of the lights is capable of emitting a steady light, then it
must conform to BS 6102-3 and be marked accordingly, even if used in flashing mode.**

**Purely flashing lights are not required to conform to BS6102-3, but the flash rate must be between 60 and 240 equal flashes per minute (1-4 per second) and the luminous intensity must be at least 4 candela. (This should be advised by the manufacturer).**

The pedal reflectors and rear reflector must conform to BS 6102-2.

Lights and reflectors not conforming to the BS, but conforming to a corresponding standard of another EC country and marked accordingly, are considered to comply as long as that standard provides an equivalent level of safety.
Lights are NOT required to be fitted on a bicycle at the point of sale - but IF they are fitted, then they must comply with these regulations.

The 2005 amendment regulations can be viewed on the following web page:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052559.htm

Particular attention should be given to the explanatory note at the bottom of the page which refers to an amendment of Regulation 18 as follows:

Regulation 7 amends regulation 18 of the 1989 Regulations so as to exempt
obligatory front and rear position lamps which flash and are fitted to a pedal cycle.... from the marking requirements in paragraph 5(c) and (ca) of Schedule 2 and paragraph 5(d) and (e) of Schedule 10 provided they are not also capable of emitting a steady light.

The 1989 Regulations (which have been amended by the 2005 Regulations) can be viewed on the following web page:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

I hope this information is of use, but please feel free to contact us again if you need any further advice.

Yours sincerely"

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Alex321

Veteran
What bit of "Daytime visible bike headlights" do you not understand?

His point was that you posted the link as a response to a post saying that there may be some lamps which only flash, but that poster hadn't5 seen one.

With no explanation, just the link, the assumption is that you were posting it as an example of one, which it isn't, since it also has constant modes.

Top Bottom