Never heard this before!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Basically, UK law on cycle lighting is an incoherent mess.

Given how much technology changes, it's not surprising, when they were last updated "flashing" led lights were relatively new, super bright white LED lights have only really become a serious prospect within the last 15 years, before that they would've been a goofy looking novelty that wasn't really bright enough for illuminating the road ahead.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Given how much technology changes, it's not surprising, when they were last updated "flashing" led lights were relatively new, super bright white LED lights have only really become a serious prospect within the last 15 years, before that they would've been a goofy looking novelty that wasn't really bright enough for illuminating the road ahead.

The Germans seem to manage their laws okay.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Here's a comprehensive guide. https://www.cyclinguk.org/lighting-regulations
The law was amended to allow flashing only lights without SS certification. However, lights that only flash (no steady state) are just about impossible to find, and few of the ones with steady mode have certification. So most of us are riding around without legal lighting.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The best thing about it is the minimum brightness required : four candles!

Did somebody say four candles?

IMG_0383.jpeg

icowden

Veteran
Worth noting that a lot of lights (eg Cateye Volt) have a "steady flash" mode where the core light is a solid beam, but the peripheral LEDs are a flashing light. That's the mode I use when out in the dark.

Mattk50

MattK50
Talking of Germany. I've just got back from the Black Forest for a bit of cycling and hiking. What a beautiful part of the world. Only negative was getting 'flashed' three times by speed cameras. Speed limits change rapidly without warning sometimes and they seem to be 'on it'. Hopefully, I won't get the cost through being outside of the EU and driving a swiss number plate.

Alex321

Veteran
Talking of Germany. I've just got back from the Black Forest for a bit of cycling and hiking. What a beautiful part of the world. Only negative was getting 'flashed' three times by speed cameras. Speed limits change rapidly without warning sometimes and they seem to be 'on it'. Hopefully, I won't get the cost through being outside of the EU and driving a swiss number plate.

If it was a Swiss number plate, then presumably it was a hire car. Generally, the Hire companies pass on the fines to the Hirers, and oif course they have your details, so can easily do so.

Reactions: C R

Mattk50

MattK50
If it was a Swiss number plate, then presumably it was a hire car. Generally, the Hire companies pass on the fines to the Hirers, and oif course they have your details, so can easily do so.

That's what I am expecting. A bigger problem is I am having an argument with Avis at the moment who charged us £600 for a minor scratch at the front of the newish hire car. I said it wasn't us for sure and they said they take photos before and after. So I asked for photos before which they haven't supplied yet but still charged my credit card. Utterly scandalous.

Top Bottom