Cripes! The price of tyres!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm just putting an order in with probikekit and looking to pad it out. Tyres are my usual 'postage fillers' as contis are hard to come by over here.... but £30 each for GP 4 seasons is a bit more than I remember paying last time!

Has everything taken a bit of a price hike?

MajorMantra

Yes.

Matthew

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
it's strange, I don't have the longer term perspective on tyre prices but find them relatively cheap compared to other items in the bike world. As it's the only point of contact with the ground I think it could be worth the dosh.

Bigtwin

Tyres, like a lot of bike kit, have become a pisstake.

A couple of years ago 5 mins on the net would get you perfectly decent training/club race tyres for a tenner max. Not any more.

Groupsets have absolutely rocketed.

Obviously the useless pound hasn't helped, but there are been huge price hikes beyond that.

peanut

the huge 255/40/17 Khumo tyres on my Porsche are rated ZR to 140mph and they only cost £50.00:ohmy: £30+ for a bike tyre is simply ludicrous . there is no justification in the world for it. Its just another example of how the manufacturers work together to keep the prices high.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Y

yello

MacBludgeon said:
As it's the only point of contact with the ground I think it could be worth the dosh.

It's not whether they're worth it or not... I wouldn't have been buying contis in the 1st place if I was looking for a cheap tyre :biggrin:... it's that the price seems to have gone up hoooogely!!

Tynan

Veteran
even the cheapy Luganos are up to £14.99 in my admittedly pricey LBS

I'm really not sure that comparing road tyres to Porsche tyres is a like for like

yello said:
I'm just putting an order in with probikekit and looking to pad it out. Tyres are my usual 'postage fillers' as contis are hard to come by over here.... but £30 each for GP 4 seasons is a bit more than I remember paying last time!

Has everything taken a bit of a price hike?
Not a great saving but I got them for £28ish I think, it might have been Probikekit or CRC.

Edit I've just remembered your in France they'll probably be p&p on top.

gavintc

Guru
I am looking at replacing the larger chain ring on my chainset. I bought the whole thing for around £100 a couple of years ago. The cheapest I have identified for one ring is £80 from CRC and the complete thing is now £150. Equally cassettes seem to become a significant cost not just pocket money.

OP
OP
Y

yello

HLaB said:
Edit I've just remembered your in France they'll probably be p&p on top.

Probikekit do free postage to France. :whistle: So they are obviously my favoured supplier at the moment! I actually feel guilty about placing low value orders since they probably make nothing on them!

I'm not sure how long it'll last but whilst it does...

Chrisz

Über Member
peanut said:
the huge 255/40/17 Khumo tyres on my Porsche are rated ZR to 140mph and they only cost £50.00:ohmy:

You put Kumhos on a Porsche :whistle: :girl:

Personally I would never touch them - I've always used Falkens or Yokos.

And yes, £30 for a little bike tyre does seem somewhat disproportionate!

:biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
Never crossed my mind that the tyres on my bike are about the same price than the tyres on my car till I read this post, but there again my bike is worth more than my car.

Top Bottom