Criterium du Dauphiné, 8-15 June 2014 ***spoilers***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could someone explain what happened, so those of us not following live have a clue........ Thanks.
Anyone know where to start?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Froome was clearly affected far more by that crash that has was admitting - it seems that Sky knew what was likely to happen today, hence their getting two of their strongest riders in the break and ultimately going for the stage. Contrary to some here (and practically all of Alberto's personal fan club on Cyclingnews), I think Contador and Saxo really messed that up. Sure, it was exciting seeing him try to catch up on his own, but he and his team shouldn't have let him get in that position in the first place. Yesterday he had the race in the bag. It speaks of a certain arrogance and/or tactical failure in underestimating Talansky in particular. Talansky rode a spectacular race today, as did the young rider trio of Yates, Bardet and Kelderman.

Froome was clearly affected far more by that crash that has was admitting - it seems that Sky knew what was likely to happen today, hence their getting two of their strongest riders in the break and ultimately going for the stage. Contrary to some here (and practically all of Alberto's personal fan club on Cyclingnews), I think Contador and Saxo really messed that up. Sure, it was exciting seeing him try to catch up on his own, but he and his team shouldn't have let him get in that position in the first place. Yesterday he had the race in the bag. It speaks of a certain arrogance and/or tactical failure in underestimating Talansky in particular. Talansky rode a spectacular race today, as did the young rider trio of Yates, Bardet and Kelderman.

No one said they didn't though. Just it was an epic but ultimately foolhardy chase. In fact surprise that the situation had developed was expressed.

rliu

Veteran
No one said they didn't though. Just it was an epic but ultimately foolhardy chase. In fact surprise that the situation had developed was expressed.
It was certainly a mistake to lose the GC today but Tinkoff will be pleased with Contador's extremely strong form, especially seeing as they sent a very weak team to the race to support him, one where there was no Kreuziger, Majka, Roche or Rogers. If Contador can show the form he did this weekend in Tdf and Rogers and Majka maintain their Giro form then the Tour has just been blown wide open.

Contador said before the stage that winning the Dauphine was NOT important to him. The TDF is! With that in mind you could at very best consider Berti's 2nd place disappointing. More interesting though is just how different a rider he is to last year. As Yoda might say - "A breeze for Chris Froome this will be not". He has a MAJOR challenger in Alberto who is not only as strong as him, at least, in the mountains but also has a superior tactical instinct.

Last but not least, Contador had a pretty weak team at this race. The TDF will see his A team in full support. That will make a substantial difference.

Contador said before the stage that winning the Dauphine was NOT important to him. The TDF is! With that in mind you could at very best consider Berti's 2nd place disappointing. More interesting though is just how different a rider he is to last year. As Yoda might say - "A breeze for Chris Froome this will be not". He has a MAJOR challenger in Alberto who is not only as strong as him, at least, in the mountains but also has a superior tactical instinct.

Last but not least, Contador had a pretty weak team at this race. The TDF will see his A team in full support. That will make a substantial difference.
Agreed.........and how is the steak in Yorkshire??:whistle:;)

RobNewcastle

Whatever you think about him, Contador's willingness to attack is impressive, the way he just goes for it is proper ballsy. He's clearly in impressive form and that makes for an exciting tour ahead.

However the difference between Froome before that crash and after is like night and day. He looked a completely different rider. He's mentioned it affected him but not offered it as an excuse and rightly so. I'm pretty convinced the Froome pre crash would've closed the gap yesterday or atleast got very close. He was obviously struggling a lot.

I guess all the questions will be answered soon anyway but Sky know now they have a full on battle on their hands. I think Contador probably also knows he's more than likely to face the Ventoux/Axe 3 Domains Froome come the mountains in the tour. Fascinating stuff.

suzeworld

Veteran
Great stage, great entertainment.
I don't quite believe Bertie didn't 'want to win' that's politician-speak if y'ask me.
Why was he chasing the stage leaders once he'd shown Froome a clean pair of heels if he wasn't bothered?
That said, he gave Talansky a very sporting pat on the back on the podium.

The Couch

Über Member
Hey @rich p ... just wanted to bring something up :angel::smile::
...but then still I would put a Porte in top-form and as a team-leader in the top 10, but I can't see him beating either Froome (in an imaginary other team) or Nibali across a 3-week race. He hasn't shown a great result yet in those 3-week races and has to do so before I put him even ahead of people like JVDB and Mollema. (Considering that they would also be in top-form and avoiding falls)...
I don't disagree with much of what you say @The Couch apart from the JVDB reference:rofl:

Top Bottom