Criterium du Dauphiné, 8-15 June 2014 ***spoilers***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find it hard to see what difference it makes to Bertie whether it's 4 Sky riders who are pulling him or a Sinkoff Taxo rider.
Exactly! If Froome is the strongest rider then it works perfectly but if Bertie is stronger then it simply allows Bertie to sit on THEIR train and attack from behind Froome. In fact it showed to be a perfect strategy today from Bertie.

Wouldn't matter if Sky had 20 riders in that train as none of them are able to go at the pace of Froome or Bertie at the end of a stage.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I find it hard to see what difference it makes to Bertie whether it's 4 Sky riders who are pulling him or a Sinkoff Taxo rider.
I'd hope thats the talk in the team sky bus tonight

Really haven't seen a great deal of the Dauphine due to work commitments, plus, I get the general feeling that Eurosport coverage is not as good as it was. Highlights at a reasonable hour of the Giro were non-existent. I blame SKY.

The plan, as others have said, worked very well for Bertram today and you've got to hand it to him; perhaps as Rich and Pedro say, the pace set by Sky was counter-productive and maybe following such a single-minded stratagem at the TDF will be unwise.Yes, a lot of riders get found out but is the 4 v 1 scenario at the end of the day that conclusive, unless you're going for the individual stage win? I don't think so.

Canny riding by the Westra too.

Anyway, Gerard's team should be in yellow tomorrow and I hope Froome can score a few tonight to keep African hope's alive.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
You could tell Chris was knackered by the way he was riding. He hardly ever gets out of the saddle unless to attack, but today he was standing at points to follow his team up the last climb. I think that's one of his poker tell's, much like when he gazes off down the road instead of stem watching, when you know he's going to attack. Still all credit to him, with the injuries and probable poor nights sleep, he did really well to minimise what have could have been so much worse.

Just goes to show he's human and can suffer bad days like everyone else.

ayceejay

Guru
As the great man said
'Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.'
Fausto Coppi
As others have said when a team has but one tactic - to run like a train dropping carriages as they go - you sit in the behind sheltered and waiting for the last carriage to be close to dropping away and then you give it both guns.
(sorry about the mixed metaphor)
Contador looked good and Froome didn't

RobNewcastle

Whether Froome was 100% or not, a stage like today does wonders for the Froome v Contador challenge/rivalry. It should only serve to motivate Froome. The mountains in the tour will be a right ding dong affair.

Someone mentioned the importance of the final TT. I'd agree, it'll probably come down to to that one to some degree for the tour. I still think Froome is too strong in the TT for Contador and can handle himself well enough in the mountains too limit losses if he has to.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Contador can let sky tire themselves out as he sits in their train, and lets his team on other days/ flat stages to gain time there. Unless sky find extra power to tire him out, going to stick to his tactics as they are working.

RobNewcastle

I guess the counter argument to Contador just being able to sit there is that while this might be true you'd rather have a team over a 3 week tour who has men who can stay right up with their leader in the mountains. It's quit easy to have a mechanical, get into trouble with an off day over a 3 week stage race especially in the final week regrading fatigue/off days. Contador is missing a couple of tour starters to be fair.

However I agree sky will have to play a few other cards on those big, tough mountain stages because they can't afford to just pull Contador all the way up then watch him shoot off on a final attack in the last 2k. I still think on a good day in top form Froome is a equal match and more for Contador on the really steep stuff and Contador will know that Froome almost certainly has the measure of him on the TT. Therefore Bertie will know he'll have to take something of an advantage into that TT.

Last edited:

raindog

er.....
Apparently there's a 23 rider break up the road including Talansky and Yates. How the hell were they allowed to get away?

NorvernRob

I wondered if Sky would send a couple of riders up the road today to try and get TS to force the pace and Froome + co have a ride for a change, but I don't think that would have worked as TS just don't have the team here to do any chasing (it appears that way anyway).

400bhp

Guru
Exactly! If Froome is the strongest rider then it works perfectly but if Bertie is stronger then it simply allows Bertie to sit on THEIR train and attack from behind Froome. In fact it showed to be a perfect strategy today from Bertie.

Wouldn't matter if Sky had 20 riders in that train as none of them are able to go at the pace of Froome or Bertie at the end of a stage.

Just watched the stage. Great tactics from Contador.

I think in this case you're right. Sky's tactic is to ride at one pace. If they varied the pace it might be different.

If anyone follows athletics, think what the Ethopians used to do to Paula Radcliffe. They would gang up on her by constantly changing the pace, which she couldn't handle.

400bhp

Guru
Interesting that Talansky actually caught and passed Froome at the end too.

TDF is going to be superb. Please, please Sky, throw Wiggo in. You never know and if he's within a minute and a half at the penultimate stage he has a chance.:becool:

Top Bottom