Critical Commute, Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Any chatters doing this month's critical commute (29th Feb)?

I've not been before, but apparently this time the local press are turning up, so I thought I might see if I can get the cycle chat jersey in the paper...

janm399

Veteran
I haven't heard anything about it -- but even though I'm working from home, there's no reason to miss this! Do you have any details?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I found that lot through a link on our staff web site under the 'cycling' section - a group has just re-launched the staff cycle forum, and one of the guys heads up the Oxford Road Travel policy group - someone from the group has posted a link to it.

Withington Library is just up the road from my work place, but I have no need to be in one of our Manchester sites that morning...

fossyant

Anybody go - I didn't as I'm in work.

Did spot on the website somewhere that there is an event in Whitworth Park from 10.00am and there might be security freebies being given away - I'm at a meeting near St Mary's Hosital at 10, so I'll let you know if anything is going on when I come out.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I couldn't, in the end - got alerted to a crisis with one of our overnight processes and had to be in the office instead :/

fossyant

Ah well - the free security stuff was security marking - looked like they were using a pen - Police Car parked on the cycle lane in Whitworth Park - fair few bikes getting marked up though.

504steve

Hi. It was/is ,not sure what time they are there until, security marking (postcode with UV pen),free pen, free mug and a free Halfords armoured steel cable lock (sold secure bronze). Not bad for free. Ther is another event on the Manchester uni campus on friday 11th April. Was told they should have free lights then.

504steve

Fossy. Can't you have a quick blast back in if you get back to the office and grab your bike. The lock if you get one isn't bad. £26.99 on the Halfords website. Bikehut double armoured steel cable lock 850 x 19 mm. Any extra security is great. An extra in my shed tonight.

Joined in the critical commute in Manchester this morning. Met up with 3 others in Prestwich and cycled down to Albert square in the city center. About 30 cyclists in Albert square.

Freewheeler

Nothing happening in the park at 2pm today. At least I got a nice lunchtime ride in though. Oh, and saw some really bad driving by a taxi on the way back to the office, I sent the following to GM taxi licencing:

Dear Sir,

I'd like to report bad driving by a Manchester taxi. The incident happened at the junction between Oxford Road and Booth Street West. The traffic lights had just turned red when a taxi cut from the right hand to the left hand lane, overtook another vehicle on the wrong side and then accelerated through the red light and turned left. The taxi was a people carrier, with the registration number AJ56 DWG. This happened at about 14:00 on Friday 29th February 2008.

I'd be pleased if someone could have a quiet word with the driver about his conduct. Please let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

I'll be amazed if they get back to me though.

Top Bottom