Critical Mass 1 Killjoys 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jake

jimboalee

So what about Club runs?

Mass start, predetermined destination. A procession of cyclists through the borough?

Do Solihull police give a hoot? I doooon't thiiink soooo.

Radius

SHREDDER
Well that's good. Once you've been on it you realise how bad people make it look by amplifying any incident however big or small that never even affects / is noticed by the majority of people on the ride...

Maz

Guru
Has anyone been on a CM? Do they achieve anything other than get motorists even more wound up against cyclists? I do wonder sometimes.

Radius

SHREDDER
I have (twice, 3 times this Friday), and I think there are different sides to it and things to consider. What does 'achieving something' mean? If you mean, having lots of fun, seeing some sights, and having a good ride, then yes, it achieves something very well. There are of course wound up motorists, but some of them are very supportive / encouraging, and the majority are at least cordial.

It is true however that some people seem to go on the ride determined to make trouble with motorists, but it is often other cyclists who try to prevent this by diffusing situations, and it does not play a big part in the event at all, as I said above.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Radius said:
It is true however that some people seem to go on the ride determined to make trouble with motorists, but it is often other cyclists who try to prevent this by diffusing situations, and it does not play a big part in the event at all, as I said above.

And it is these tossers that spoil it for 'real' cyclists. These tossers should be sent to Coventry for their actions and hissed at by other cyclists to show them for what they are.

wafflycat

There's a CM twice a day, nearly every day of every week in every town & city in the UK. It just happens the participants are mostly motorists.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
ComedyPilot said:
And it is these tossers that spoil it for 'real' cyclists. These tossers should be sent to Coventry for their actions and hissed at by other cyclists to show them for what they are.

Easy tiger, that's a bit over the top.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
wafflycat said:
There's a CM twice a day, nearly every day of every week in every town & city in the UK. It just happens the participants are mostly motorists.

And that's the point of CM, showing them (motorists) what they are doing to the streets :laugh:

And hopefully showing (some of) them there is a viable alternative.:thumbsup:

Twiggy

ComedyPilot said:

Hey!

Radius

SHREDDER
ComedyPilot said:

Ye-es...although probably not the best thing when you have to spend another 3 hours riding with them....:smile:

CotterPin

I must admit I never got the standing round in the middle of a junction waving your bike above your head bit. And I disliked it when participants became deliberately provocative around any motor vehicle that strayed into CM. Which is why I very rarely attend these days (that and the fact that in Winter it is too cold to cycle at 3mph!)

Top Bottom