Critical Mass Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've done Norwich's Critical Mass a couple of times since 2017, despite it being 45 miles away with iffy transport links. It's rather different to the old ones IMO in that it's a bit of a party, usually with several soundsystems along the group, not out for confrontation and basically obeying the traffic laws except that the group behaves as (a) long vehicle(s), so those at the front do stop for red lights (even the advisory ones) but once the front of the train has pulled out into the junction, the rest just keep on going unless a split has occurred. That's almost forced on it by shoot anti-cycle-route signal timings in the city centre that are set to only allow half a dozen cyclists out every two minutes (while cars get green for the rest of it even though they can't cross because of jams).

The inner city traffic is screwed anyway, so the cycle ride doesn't add to it much. Apart from a few key links, Norwich's ride actually uses the pedalways because it would be too slow and stressful filtering through motor jams otherwise! It all finishes with a big bike carousel around the bandstand in Chapelfield Gardens :laugh:

I think the point of it is to show/remind those motorists sitting in jams mostly all alone that there is a faster and funner way to get around the city at rush hour. So, "to prove they can" but not in the way @Phaeton means.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Middle aged bearded men with their gut overhanging the top tubes and arse flaps swallowing their Brooks saddles?

If ever there was a hell...
Old bearded men yes, but with slim figurer here :smile:

johnblack

Über Member
At least on a standard type bike the dangly bits would be hidden by a flabby belly. I imagine yours would be on show to the world ^_^
They might well be dragging on the tarmac.

OP
OP
ruscle298

ruscle298

The only one I have done is London. Done it loads of times. Cops accept it and sometimes stop the cars. Entertainment is provided by the drivers who get really cross. Actually ranting. Great atmosphere, really friendly. You get all sorts of bikes. I have seen some recumbents. Last time I saw a tall bike. The bloke riding it pulled a lever and the bike changed shape like a transformer. One time we went to Parliament Square and got off our bikes and walked around. Unique kind of event.
Thanks for the info...Sounds like many interesting bikes....I will plan a London trip during the time of their critical mass ride.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think so much (if at all) in the UK, but in other parts of the world the group have been involved in incidents of violence and significant damage to property. The moment violence is employed in the pursuit of a political objective it becomes terrorism, so the technical definitions are met (if not necessarily for the UK chapter).

Top Bottom