Critical Mass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not a hint of high viz,or any cycle helmets worn in the video.Tut tut!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Personally I think critical mass and naked bike riding do more harm than good, we should act like normal road users if that's how we want to be looked upon, just my opinion.
Well essentially critical mass is like acting like normal road users.

Moving slowing in traffic and blocking junctions. Everyone does it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Normal road users do not set off with the intention of upsetting and inconveniencing other people. If you do that, you are not normal!

jarlrmai

Veteran
I guess the theory behind critical mass is to show drivers what it's like to be in the minority of road users, however like most passive aggressive techniques it antagonises more than it instructs.

OK, my view on things. If you are on a bike, it does not mean you know how to ride correctly, the same as some motorised vehicle drivers do not know how to drive correctly. Equally some of both groups have a total disregard for the other. Also, it does not matter how old you are (or how many grey hairs), you can still be an idiot in your chosen method of transport. There are idiots in all walks of life, and nothing will ever change that.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Normal road users do not set off with the intention of upsetting and inconveniencing other people.
nor do many CM participants, I'll bet. they set off with the intention of meeting/making friends, admiring other people's bikes, going for a ride without being intimidated by taxi drivers, having a bit of a party on wheels, demonstrating to car drivers that there's a faster and more fun way to get round town than in a big tin box ... none of these motives require that car drivers are upset

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
nor do many CM participants, I'll bet. they set off with the intention of meeting/making friends, admiring other people's bikes, going for a ride without being intimidated by taxi drivers, having a bit of a party on wheels, demonstrating to car drivers that there's a faster and more fun way to get round town than in a big tin box ... none of these motives require that car drivers are upset
Each individual may set off with good intentions but the combined effect is to pi$$ off other road users which does nothing to help our cause.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Full of tree hungers that don't ride bikes in traffic. Come on how many of this lot ride in and out of the cities every day in rush hour. Not many.

Dan B

Disengaged member
And that is my point exactly. The drivers you hold up dont have any idea who you are or why you are doing it all they see is people on bikes making a nuisance of themselves.
When I drive to take my son swimming, or to visit my parents, do the drivers held up in the queue behind me see "people in cars making a nuisance of themselves", or do they just see cars and assume they have legitimate reason to be on the road?

Top Bottom