Critical mass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The French equivalent of CTC hold a similar thing called 'Jusque deux minutes.' Or something similar. They park a few dozen bikes across a road, usually outside a Newsstand or similar and hold up the traffic and placards saying 'I'll just be two minutes.' Apparently in retaliation for motorists doing the same in cycle lanes. Much more effective IMHO.
I've seen one photo on twitter I think, where people parked trikes and cargo bikes in parking spaces filling a road and put on a comment, I'll just be a minute or similar, which I thought was good.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've seen one photo on twitter I think, where people parked trikes and cargo bikes in parking spaces filling a road and put on a comment, I'll just be a minute or similar, which I thought was good.
Trouble is, it is probably only a small proportion of motorists who block cycle lanes like that, and a bit unfair to hold up the ones who would not park in cycle lanes. Splendid idea if you can catch the right 'victims'!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
a potentially good.suggestion posted on this very newsgroup was.for cyclists to arrange an agreed "drive to work day" - just to make the point that we are not blocking up "their" roads whilst cycling. The daily-mailites might not appreciate the irony that we'd no longer be subject to their proposed "extra road tax for not driving" * that is regularly trotted out

* tax for bikes

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Trouble is, it is probably only a small proportion of motorists who block cycle lanes like that, and a bit unfair to hold up the ones who would not park in cycle lanes. Splendid idea if you can catch the right 'victims'!
I liked the alternative view, which hadn't occurred to me before seeing the photo.

Similarly when I'm cycling along a double parked road with just one car width left in the middle. I end up holding up the traffic behind and assuming that they see me blocking their way, one cyclist, rather than noticing what is really holding them up the two rows of parked cars.

Sara_H

Guru
There is this cycle event called Critical mass in London.

Is it any good?

And where can I find more info about it?
Not sure about cycle critical mass, but I do know that the motorists in most towns and cities have 2 every week day at 8am to 930am and then again at 430pm to 630pm.
Thousands of them all drive in the same area, clogging the streets and causing much carnage and pollution.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Is aggravating all motorists because of the behaviour of a few eejuts liable to endear us to the nation?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I used to take part in the Leicester one, in fact I was on the first one, but stopped riding in it a few months ago cos I now feel it is counter productive.
Holding it on a Friday is possibly the worst day of the week as everyone just wants to get home and the drunks (not driving) are already outside the pubs at 6.30- 8.00 so it's not for me anymore.
I'd sooner be out on my own anyway. :cycle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I met someone on their way to the Newcastle one.

She told me I 'must' take part, which predictably was enough to convince me not to.

The London one looks like it might be a bit of fun as a different cycling experience.

Drivers have no place complaining about anything while they have bottom burps like the driver of LB10SFJ roaming the capital sowing discord and rancour.

Top Bottom