Crock Pot.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

domtyler said:
fantastic Boeuf Bourguignon last night. :biggrin::tongue: Really rich and tasty and the meat was just falling apart.

Does anyone know how chicken turns out in a crock pot? Whenever I do stew using chicken thighs, it turns out dry, gacky and chewy... even if I marinate them first.

Are these the things you leave on while you're at work BTW? Will a full day's slow cook made my chicken tender?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Abitrary said:
Does anyone know how chicken turns out in a crock pot? Whenever I do stew using chicken thighs, it turns out dry, gacky and chewy... even if I marinate them first.

Are these the things you leave on while you're at work BTW? Will a full day's slow cook made my chicken tender?

Chicken is already tender as they're very young. Not all meats react the same to cooking conditions. Long-slow cooking works best for "tougher" cuts with more connective tissue, like stewing steak or cheap pot-roast joints where the long cook-time breaks down the collagen with time rendering toughish meat (such a stewing-steak) tender. Do the same with a fillet steak or liver (low connective tissue collagen content) and it will get tougher rather than more tender.

Abitrary

Fab Foodie said:
Chicken is already tender as they're very young. Not all meats react the same to cooking conditions. Long-slow cooking works best for "tougher" cuts with more connective tissue, like stewing steak or cheap pot-roast joints where the long cook-time breaks down the collagen with time rendering toughish meat (such a stewing-steak) tender. Do the same with a fillet steak or liver (low connective tissue collagen content) and it will get tougher rather than more tender.

yeah, I guess it wouldn't work well with stuff like chicken thighs or breast. I started using drumsticks and wings in my stews instead, and I guess a crock pot would turn those to bony mash.

What I'd definately buy is a crock-tandoor... a slow cooking tandoori oven. That's how to make fall apart in your mouth chicken.

Top Bottom