Cromarty ferry - warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
My daughter arrived at Cromarty ferry yesterday, hop across the firth, only to find that it's shut for repairs. So, 40 mile detour, then on to Tain. Pissing down with rain, howling gale in her face. She says it's character building!

jarushby

Anyone know if the ferry is now open.

Looking forward using this to avoid some of teh A9

Norm

She is having you on, the wind speed did not reach gale force, the wind would only have been in her face for half the detour, and it wasn't raining yesterday. ;) :biggrin:
Methinks you didn't check the date stamp on the OP, snorri. :biggrin:

jarushby

The ferry is not running, and it would appear unlikely to run this year.
The newbuild ferry scheduled to be on the run in June has still not left the builders yard in Southampton.:sad:

thanks

I guess its A9 and Sustrans 1 then :-)

Still not running last week, cycled out from Tain following the NCN1, which was not a bad route but a tad windy, got to the ferry quay to join a group of bewildered tourist looking for signs of life.
Nothing to say the ferry is not running, and the sign at the ferries just says it not running during June and July. spoke to the guy in the hotel next door he said it will not run this year.
You would have though that Sustans through it ranger system wuold have posted notices on the NCN signs in Tain to that effect, thus saving a long detour

snorri

Legendary Member
Still not running last week,
At least the new vessel has been launched and photographed undergoing sea trials in Sothampton Water, so there is some progress. :smile:

jay clock

Massive member
very customer friendly! It is very hard to see from the site whether it is running or not.

It says "Running from August 2010 to the end of September including Sundays, the service operates from 8:00 am to 6:15 pm, and until 7:15 pm in July and August, Monday to Saturday, and from 9:00 am on Sundays." but it also says they have no boat... and then show a photo of a collossal liner....

davefb

Guru
very customer friendly! It is very hard to see from the site whether it is running or not.

It says "Running from August 2010 to the end of September including Sundays, the service operates from 8:00 am to 6:15 pm, and until 7:15 pm in July and August, Monday to Saturday, and from 9:00 am on Sundays." but it also says they have no boat... and then show a photo of a collossal liner....

in front of which,, is a tiny tiny tiny boat.... ;)

yeah, I thought that was lame,, make the effort of changing dates etc for a time when the ferry hasn't actually turned up...

snorri

Legendary Member
very customer friendly! It is very hard to see from the site whether it is running or not..

Just to clarify, my posts on this thread are to inform my fellow cyclists, and not to speak on behalf of, or defend the ferry operator.

I spoke to the operator some time ago regarding discrepancies on the website and was told "that's the wifes' job". I haven't bothered to raise the matter with "the wife". :biggrin:

Top Bottom