Cross threaded my front through axle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like I've knackered the thread.

Anyone know where to get a compatible spare ?

Bolt says

120mm M12 X P1.5 X L14.

Struggling to find one that's exactly the same markings ? Anyone able to help ? Thanks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hate to ask, but how? Seeing as the thread is aligned by the opposite drop-out surely it can only thread in squarely.
Also, if the axle thread is fubar'd what state is the frame insert in?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like I've knackered the thread.

Anyone know where to get a compatible spare ?

Bolt says

120mm M12 X P1.5 X L14.

Struggling to find one that's exactly the same markings ? Anyone able to help ? Thanks.

What make forks ? You usually get the same - i.e. Rockshox, Fox etc.

Other option, and not cheap - SJS Cycles for the Roberts Axel Project.

OP
OP
cougie uk

cougie uk

Guru
Hate to ask, but how? Seeing as the thread is aligned by the opposite drop-out surely it can only thread in squarely.
Also, if the axle thread is fubar'd what state is the frame insert in?
Good points.

It's a fairly new bike and only put the front wheel on the once when I got it. Seemed an easy job but there was some resistance so I foolishly used a bit of pressure. As you say - how can it cross thread?
Hopefully the fork is ok. Definitely prefer normal QR axles.

OP
OP
cougie uk

cougie uk

Guru
What make forks ? You usually get the same - i.e. Rockshox, Fox etc.

Other option, and not cheap - SJS Cycles for the Roberts Axel Project.
It's a titanium gravel bike. Selcof carbon front fork. Maybe I should search on that. Ta.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Axle Length 120mm
Bolt size is M12
Thread Pitch is 1.5
Thread length is 14

You can be slightly flexible on the thread length.

Option 1 120/15/M12*P1.5 will do you.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS you'll realise many through Axels are made of Cheese. You have to be vary careful with Rock Shox axels - very easy to damage the aluminium washer when tightening up the QR Leaver if you use too much force. Many switch to the 'Stealth' model which uses a allen key to nip up.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks for this ! Good explanation !
Sorry I realised I forgot the important link to one that will work - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-lightweight-road-disc-thru-axle?

Option 1 120/15/M12*P1.5

OP
OP
cougie uk

cougie uk

Guru
Sorry I realised I forgot the important link to one that will work - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-lightweight-road-disc-thru-axle?

Option 1 120/15/M12*P1.5
Thanks Milkfloat - out walking the dog so just seen this. I also emailed Planet X before I went out and they advised that they have one that will fit if I have a Torx 40 key. I'm sure I do so will post that link in case anyone gets stuck like me.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSTORX/jobsworth-torx-40-thru-axle

:eek: maybe not!!!!

This holds your front wheel on. Don't compromise.
How is it compromising? What is it compromising?
If the female bit is crossthreaded it will only be the first one or two threads. If it is the male then again it is only the first one or two threads. There is planty of safety margin left - unless you are one of the spinach generation. Cutting from the rear won't compromise anything.
Taking your argument to its logical conclusion OP would be better off welding his wheels solidly in place. And he had better not go out on his bike in case he gets hit by a meteor. Of course he can't stay at home because the rooof might fall in.

Top Bottom