cross tryes for sticky, claggy mud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
I've been out a couple of times on my CX bike on trails and given the time of year it's been a touch muddy :smile:. I've been slip-sliding around on a pair of semi slicks and they're clearly not cutting the mustard. The soil round these parts is very clay-like so sticks to everything like <something> to a blanket, especially the canti's on the bike. So, out of these three which is going to give me the best grip in conditions like these?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...ontinental-cyclox-king-rigid-tyre/conttyrr828

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...challenge-grifo-32-pro-rigid-tyre/chaltyrr210

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...nental-cyclocross-race-rigid-tyre/conttyrr824

TIA

Tony.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
For sticky stuff you need an open tyre with knobs on so you can still find grip whilst the mud gets pushed out to the sides. I get joy with griffos.

ayceejay

Guru
Griffo's should do ya. Also pay attention to tyre pressure van der Poel who is winning races in Belgium runs his tubs as low as 20psi, note "tub" as I don't think you could run clinchers this low.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good luck with that ... I walked my sister's dog across a field in Towcester last week and it appears that they have the same kind of claggy clay-mud soil there. I came back with boots weighing about 5 kilos each!

The only time I rode my mountain bike in such conditions, it became unrideable within a couple of minutes. I hate all mud, but clay-like mud is the worst.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have Rocket Rons on my CX. They do OK in mud, but not the real claggy stuff. Mind you, the real claggy stuff will clog up the best of mud tyres!

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
Thanks all, I've plumped for the Grifos. Hopefully they'll do the trick :smile:.

FWIW, I was out with a couple of mates, one on a 29er hardtail and another on a full sus and they both had to stop on more than occasion to clear their wheels, sort out mechanical issues while me on the little ol' crosser just kept on plugging away. Low tech, less aggro ;).

Tony.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Griffo's should do ya. Also pay attention to tyre pressure van der Poel who is winning races in Belgium runs his tubs as low as 20psi, note "tub" as I don't think you could run clinchers this low.

This is the advantage of tubs. It's possible to run clinchers fairly low, 30 pounds-ish, maybe a bit less depending on rider weight and conditions.

me on the little ol' crosser just kept on plugging away. Low tech, less aggro ;).

That's the whole point of 'cross bikes. Mud will clag them up eventually but they work better in mud than an MTB.

ayceejay

Guru
Just to be clear - the range of recommeneded tyre pressure is stamped on the sidewall tubs 23 - 90 psi clinchers 40 - 75 psi

Citius

Grifo will do the job - as will Schwalbe CX Pro, which is pretty much the same tread pattern and may even be had cheaper. Conti CycloX King is also good. Run about 30psi in mud on a clincher - 25 if you're light enough and the terrain allows it.

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
TBH, I wouldn't run them anything below 40 as I'm not small nor slight and I have no intention of racing so it's not a huge issue for me. The friend on the 29er does race (eastern cross series), he races tubs and lets them down to silly pressures which Is fine to race on but I could see them being a bit draggy on a stretch of road ;).

That's the whole point of 'cross bikes. Mud will clag them up eventually but they work better in mud than an MTB.

That did happen a couple of weeks ago going across a field, the mud had straw in it too so I likened it to wattle & daub! Needless to say I carried the bike out and scooped the stuff out...

Tony.

Top Bottom