cross wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Some of you may be aware of this, but for me it was a new experience. On my return trip from work, today, we had a stiff wind. Most of the way was headwind, with which we are all familiar. My surprise came while fighting a stiff cross wind from my left side on the last mile of my trip. A bus passed me, to my left, (remember in USA we drive on the right side of the road), and suddenly the wind was blocked by the bus! Instantly I felt as if I was being sucked TOWARD the bus! I guess I had been unconsciously adjusting for the wind, and when the wind was suddenly blocked by the bus, I moved right toward it! It's something I guess I need to keep in mind the next time a bus or large lorry is overtaking in a cross wind. I don't like surprises!

MERV

Unfortunately I find some of the time that other road vehicles don't take into account of the problems cyclists face.Taking into account adverse weather conditions as well.Like a sudden gust of wind which can cause a sudden wobble.

Maz

Guru
Yeah, TFJ - headwinds and crosswinds are our enemies for sure.
Out of interest, do you get many cycle commuters in your part of the world?

Plax

Guru
MERV said:
Unfortunately I find some of the time that other road vehicles don't take into account of the problems cyclists face.Taking into account adverse weather conditions as well.Like a sudden gust of wind which can cause a sudden wobble.

Have you changed your name *again* ?

I got a great drag of a bus tonight on a long straight road, I was expecting it to pull in to a bus stop there's several on this road it never did until the last one. When it did I was hit by strong wind but luckily it was a head wind, I hate cross winds. Slightly further on I went round a bend expecting one, good job I did with a car and a half of space nearly a green estate decided to overtake so close that she almost took my front wheel out. I From the look on her face in her mirror I actually think she thought she'd hit me.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Yep, cross winds are as bad as head winds. I have been pushed sideways across a road by a gusty cross wind, fortunately the on coming driver slowed right down...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hairy Jock said:
Yep, cross winds are as bad as head winds. I have been pushed sideways across a road by a gusty cross wind, fortunately the on coming driver slowed right down...

... as he couldn't see past you as you bounced across his bonnet ? ;):biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom