1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cross wind

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by threefingerjoe, 18 Apr 2008.

1. threefingerjoe

threefingerjoe Über Member

Some of you may be aware of this, but for me it was a new experience. On my return trip from work, today, we had a stiff wind. Most of the way was headwind, with which we are all familiar. My surprise came while fighting a stiff cross wind from my left side on the last mile of my trip. A bus passed me, to my left, (remember in USA we drive on the right side of the road), and suddenly the wind was blocked by the bus! Instantly I felt as if I was being sucked TOWARD the bus! I guess I had been unconsciously adjusting for the wind, and when the wind was suddenly blocked by the bus, I moved right toward it! It's something I guess I need to keep in mind the next time a bus or large lorry is overtaking in a cross wind. I don't like surprises!

2. MERV

MERV New Member

Unfortunately I find some of the time that other road vehicles don't take into account of the problems cyclists face.Taking into account adverse weather conditions as well.Like a sudden gust of wind which can cause a sudden wobble.

3. Maz

Maz Guru

Yeah, TFJ - headwinds and crosswinds are our enemies for sure.
    Out of interest, do you get many cycle commuters in your part of the world?

4. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

I know exactly what you mean Joe. At least you're finally getting out on the bike now.

5. Plax

Plax Veteran

Have you changed your name *again* ?

6. MERV

MERV New Member

Sorry Plax i've shortened it.It still means the same.

7. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

That wasn't a nice ride home - mahoosive headwind.....

8. Plax

Plax Veteran

I forgive you. It's not an abbreviation of Mervyn then? :ohmy:

9. I got a great drag of a bus tonight on a long straight road, I was expecting it to pull in to a bus stop there's several on this road it never did until the last one. When it did I was hit by strong wind but luckily it was a head wind, I hate cross winds. Slightly further on I went round a bend expecting one, good job I did with a car and a half of space nearly a green estate decided to overtake so close that she almost took my front wheel out. I From the look on her face in her mirror I actually think she thought she'd hit me.

10. MERV

MERV New Member

:tongue::ohmy:

11. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Yep, cross winds are as bad as head winds. I have been pushed sideways across a road by a gusty cross wind, fortunately the on coming driver slowed right down...

12. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

... as he couldn't see past you as you bounced across his bonnet ? ;):biggrin::biggrin: