Crossbar squatting to be banned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
  • Laugh
Reactions: mjr

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had a discussion with a club member about this and i hold the opinion that there a lot of stuff that needs sorting out for safety first before they start banning this becuase others might copy it , its like making motorsport drivers drive around at 30 just in case someone might try to drive a bit fast .
Intersting regarding the positions as im a nibali descender , i use both positions dependant on conditions

Adam4868

Guru
Had a discussion with a club member about this and i hold the opinion that there a lot of stuff that needs sorting out for safety first before they start banning this becuase others might copy it , its like making motorsport drivers drive around at 30 just in case someone might try to drive a bit fast .
Intersting regarding the positions as im a nibali descender , i use both positions dependant on conditions
Thing is there is a lot more important things being sorted out before this.Its a minor thing in reality.Im skeptical how many accidents have actually happened by descending on the top tube...not many.Whereas the important stuff like the barriers and using your bidon as a grenade,well there pretty boring and I'm guessing not that interesting to most fans.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Something makes me think that drivers and motos were retrained at some point but continued to cause issues.
Rules were tightened, especially about not overtaking unless race direction clearly authorised it. No more shoot about saying you misheard the call: if any doubt, no passing. A couple of team cars were booted from minor stage races (in Spain IIRC) to clarify it would be enforced.

mjr

April the first aswell no sh1t 😁
https://www.velonews.com/news/road/uci-to-ban-forearms-time-trial-position-on-road-bikes/
Next on the agenda,two hands on the bars at all times,and no bare chests....
So the rule is: “Sitting on the bicycle’s top tube is prohibited. Furthermore, using the forearms as a point of support on the handlebar is prohibited except in time trials.”

So expect to see riders squatting but holding themselves above the top tube; and resting their elbows on the handlebar, or even trying to only have their hands on the computer mount and nothing touching the bar, effectively riding no-hands.

Of course, all of those offer even less control than the prohibited positions!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There was a US racer in the 90s who often descended like a ski jumper, with both hands behind his back.

The big safety problem with the top tube squat is that it screws up the weight distribution, so a pothole or a snatch of the front brake will pitch the rider over the bars.

mjr

There was a US racer in the 90s who often descended like a ski jumper, with both hands behind his back.
Anyone remember who? I don't!

The big safety problem with the top tube squat is that it screws up the weight distribution, so a pothole or a snatch of the front brake will pitch the rider over the bars.
Is that only true for the Froomey chest-on-stem position, not the Sagan under-the-saddle position?

There is a lot of childish reaction to this. It's like "But Miss, you never said anything when Smithy was hitting Cuthbert in Maths. It's not FAIR!!"

You know, they can make more than one rule improvement; banning the thing YOU don't think is very dangerous doesn't mean the other thing won't be tackled.

And then there's twaddle like this:
its like making motorsport drivers drive around at 30 just in case someone might try to drive a bit fast .
I've got news for you: motorsport DOES have speeds moderated for safety! Remember grooved tyres in F1? The banned fan cars??

What baffles me is why would anyone WANT crossbar-squatting? How does it add to the sport? (I'm assuming everyone here is a spectator, not actually racing in televised mountain stages? Hmm?)
IMO it looks daft - but if you disagree, fine; meanwhile, tell me what are YOU gaining by watching a guy sit on his bike differently? Go to a bloody circus! Watch bicycle gymnastics!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There is a lot of childish reaction to this. It's like "But Miss, you never said anything when Smithy was hitting Cuthbert in Maths. It's not FAIR!!"

You know, they can make more than one rule improvement; banning the thing YOU don't think is very dangerous doesn't mean the other thing won't be tackled.

And then there's twaddle like this:

I've got news for you: motorsport DOES have speeds moderated for safety! Remember grooved tyres in F1? The banned fan cars??
i will admit i dont follow formula one as i find it dull although my point stands i think

i will admit i dont follow formula one as i find it dull although my point stands i think
I don't think it does. Plenty of sports bodies reign in performance from time-to-time due to practical/safety issues. Research javelin throwing (unless it is Discus I'm thinking of!). Sport is not Top Trumps - bigger numbers aren't always better.

I think cricket put limits on bats. I suspect the list goes on ...

Top Bottom