CrossCountry trains bike policy: Friday +-7:30pm Coventry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cranky

hackbike 666 said:
Just a word of interest though,it wasn't so bad in the "old" days no?

With the old slam door trains and old guard brakes.

Don't get me started on the one about the 12 coach train and having to get the train shunted forward at an 8 coach platform in order to get the bikes out of the guard's van.

PBancroft

I tend not to bother taking my bike on the train. I did once for a week's worth of commutes a few years ago. Wouldn't bother again - despite getting on the train and to the destination each time the staff were the most unhelpful group of people I've come across. It was left ambiguous as to whether I'd reserved a space, nobody would point me in the direction of the minuscule bike cubby hole (or if they did, gesture in the wrong direction). When I had the gall to not use the provided space because I had been told to get on the wrong carriage by a guard the ticket collector berated me and told me I would have to move it at the next stop. That particular carriage was empty, and as far as I could tell remained so for the rest of my journey.

Travelling without a bike is no better. So much for "silent" carriages when you've got work to do, or need a kip (I'm not an MP, I can't afford 1st Class). I had enough of waiting for yet another delayed train back when I commuted to Norwich meaning I missed the connecting train in London and arrived hours late for a meeting, only to do the same thing home again once a month.

I hate trains. They could be such a useful form of transport, but they're run by utter morons.

Top Bottom