Crossed/Overlapped Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newbie111

Hi all.

I just bought my first bike, Viking XRR Roma. Its used and was couriered to me. Due to my naivety and this the chain had become tangled. I managed to get most of the loops out but now seem to have one left. Its also on the wrong side of the rear derailleur
frown.gif
i.e I know the chain needs to go on the cog but its not on the side of the cogs.. I've watched a few videos from youtube and read a few things but nothing seems to tell me how to fix this. Given the fact the chain hasnt been taken off the bike I guess I can rectify without breaking it? Have tried every possible way.

Pic attached, I would appreciate all the help I can get. I want to learn to fix it myself before taking it to LBS (where cost of service will mean I should have just bought a new bike anyway).

Images here

Ajax Bay

Guru
1592860826661.png

:welcome:
OP's image:
1592860909512.png

Attachments

• 1592860908052.png
    1592860908052.png
    433.1 KB · Views: 2

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have you had to screw on the rear derailleur (RD)?
Whatever, try unscrewing it (allen key), twist the RD 360 degrees (anti-clockwise from above - will not need to undo cable clamp), and refitting (care with threading). That should set it up so it can fit as per the diagram.

OP
OP
N

newbie111

Have you had to screw on the rear derailleur (RD)?
Whatever, try unscrewing it (allen key), twist the RD 360 degrees (anti-clockwise from above - will not need to undo cable clamp), and refitting (care with threading). That should set it up so it can fit as per the diagram.

This is the most simple explanation I have been given. But unfortunately I didnt see the reply before I took the gear cable out, unscrewed RD and lifted the chain over and gear cable is now too frayed to thread through. Although i still think I need to rotate the derailleur given your advice? Mayve I just need to take it to LBS for a service and take it as a lesson learned on buying used bikes.

Rip Van

Veteran
Looks like the chain's been thrown on. Taking heed of the previous advice, I would start by splitting the chain and refitting, new cable and then set up the gears. As was said, possibly replace the derailluer.

Chain is threaded wrongly. The second wheel (jockey wheel) in it should go through the cage and out the top not the bottom of the cage and then the spring has either gone or the mech needs rotating to the correct position.

Top Bottom