Crossing France by Eurovelo 6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

Well, as the song would say, we did it again: we - meaning my son Daniel and myself - rode another portion of the EuroVelo 6 route. This was our fourth trip, having ridden before the Austrian, German and Swiss parts of this marvelous route, and this time we were bolder than before - and decided to cover all of France, going on a 2-week ride covering over 1000 km. With this trip done, we’ve ridden all the way from Nantes, not far from the Atlantic shores, to Vienna, not far from the border with Slovakia.

xVvxQy5qPnY9qYbx2aV-nr_FeEPeInw7r92WaPr5ckeL3cW_CE.jpg

Aside from being ambitious about the total distance, we were emboldened by our previous trip to try and up our daily distance - quite a bit, in fact, planning days of up to 107 km. This plan, which I worked on for months in anticipation of the trip, involved starting from a small village called Saint-Brevins-Les-Pins and finishing in Strasbourg, so adding quite a few kilometers beyond the logical finishing point of Mulhouse, where our previous trip started. Luckily, both in planning and in execution, we demonstrated the two virtues of long distance bicycle tourers, of which first is: plan rigorously, with plenty of backup options, and the second one - be flexible when your rigorous plan falls apart.
TWy_wqui-lno-mHYXGJU9MlKjeYEN8xBfcjGXkHyRWJLOZbeJM.jpg

We never made it to Saint-Brevins-Les-Pins, despite all of our efforts and planning, so I had no opportunity to find out what made this Brevin guy or gal into a saint, and whether pins were the instrument of his (or her?) martyrdom. And the reason is that our plan - to take a train to Saint Nazaire across the Loire from the said village, then take a taxi across a scary 3 kilometer bridge - ran afoul of the protests by the French railway employees. At the last moment our train got canceled, and we were lucky to make it to Nantes, switching 4 trains in the process. That cut out a 50 kilometers portion out of our route right away, and also meant that we ended up without our warmup day, starting with an over 100 km day out of Nantes.
oJO0kF-7avob5yz0xudwPPt2g14t44zXzubDUv357t8YKsWkqA.jpg

Once we did start riding, there were other complications, with which I will not bore my readers, so during the first few days we were forced to take some shortcuts - involving trains again. We were still doing 80+ km days and enjoying ourselves, but Daniel wasn’t happy about our not-so-fully-self-powered trip, so I went ahead and replanned most of the remaining trip, canceling accommodations (thank gods for Booking.com and free cancellation) and cutting down daily distances, and so Strasbourg had to be forfeited - we did finish in Mulhouse, however, so continuity of our overarching journey did not suffer.
KE-uOLA4TjWl8cM-tDHPrYITvhn1eRvgxpQzCqhtAxxSpXUl_I.jpg

This trip was planned for the first half of April out of need to fit it to school vacation, and I was concerned about the weather. In the end, the fickle gods of rains and winds were exceedingly kind to us. Aside from one day of rather obnoxious head wind, and a day and a half of a light rain - drizzle really by our standards - the weather was great. Sure, there were clouds during most of the mornings, and the temperatures dropped to about 4 degrees Celsius, but the clouds usually cleared as the day progressed, and riding a bicycle is a warm work, so we were shedding layers in no time.
ytvGWvLgCb4mUPUE2ggEtwZUhkVZMEBV-wlEam76HpyxxsV6Y8.jpg

Another consequence of the ride falling during the very beginning of the season was that the camping grounds were closed. We knew this ahead of time, so made arrangements using an incredibly useful site Accueil Velo (“welcome, cyclists”) that lists accommodations friendly to cyclists, whether hotels, bed and breakfasts, camping grounds and other, less conventional kinds (such as a mongolian yurt in the middle of the French countryside). What does it take to get on that list? Well, the accommodation must be located close to one of the country-spanning cycling routes, it must provide a stable for one’s iron steed, things like pump and bicycle toolkit, as well as a way for a weary cyclist to wash his or her clothes. They did all that - with the exception of the last item: only one of the accommodations we booked that way had a washing machine. On the other hand, we saw plenty of automatic laundromats near almost every large supermarket we passed, so not a big deal. We booked hotels some nights and B&Bs on other nights, and I must say that on the whole, the hotels provide a more stable choice (even though there was a bit of variation in quality, even among hotels of the same chain), whereas B&Bs provided a more homey touch, but more variance in the style and level of amenities. On some nights we ended up in splendid countryside B&Bs, with private gardens and impeccable amenities, on one of the “other” nights we ended up in a small room on a top floor of an old building, with the toilet block separated from the beds by a partial wall, with no door whatsoever. And then there was the question of breakfasts, of course.
V3bQ_rZ44QR_BUWg5fxJILPBPh1x_Ih0Nv410h62eWObwZctww.jpg

Having been to France before, I was aware of the existence of “continental” breakfasts, which, I insist, have nothing to do with either continent (Germany is located on the same continent, eh?) or with breakfasts. For those unfamiliar, this petit dejeuner consists of a yogurt, some jams and honey, some pastries, orange juice and either tea or coffee. Everything is immaculately served and fresh, but is this a sufficient nutrition for a couple of hungry cyclists, I ask you? Absolutely not. At the first B&B in Nantes, the kind hosts looked at our wistful faces and brought out some comte cheese. Some of the hotels had “real” breakfasts, though even those were a far cry from those we had in even the remotests cheapests hotels in the German-speaking parts of Europe.

Having adjusted to munching on baguettes during the morning, we had to think of ways to keep ourselves energized through the rest of the day as well. Pretty soon we found out that everything - every restaurant, cafe, boulangerie - with the exception of kebab shops - closes at 2 pm, or sometimes even 1:30, meaning that if we wanted to have a hot lunch (and the weather definitely predisposed to that), we had to plan accordingly. Sometimes we did, but on most days we contended with filling our thermos flask in the morning and making a picnic of it and of food we bought in a supermarket using one of the many picnic tables strewn around the French countryside, and sometimes conveniently marked as “picque - nique area”. In most evenings we ate outside, but when the conditions allowed - when we booked an accommodation that had a kitchen available - we cooked for ourselves.
lxv1xgpyhwxWyGSlUNntETfK577vDnmIn0WQhWdQzrkwLOxGxw.jpg

Speaking of the countryside, it changed significantly as we progressed along our route. From the wide and shallow lower Loire with the rather densely populated - and, to be frank, somewhat underwhelming Nantes area - through the land of the magnificent Chateaux and impressive forests - through the wine country with endless wineries and pastures - through the land of canals, this wonder of engineering lasting for hundreds of kilometers, and finally to the rising canyons of the valley of the fast-flowing Doubs, and into the increasingly germanized area of Alsace, with bilingual signs and German-sounding village names - the route had it all.

We crossed the rivers and canals hundreds of times in the course of the journey, as the path zigzagged from one bank to the other, and once - on a self operated ferry. This is how it worked. We were riding along happily, until the path led to a slipway descending into the murky waters of a river, perhaps 20 meters across. Knowing what to expect, I looked for a rope or a chain - and sure thing, a chain there was, disappearing into the water. We started pulling it out - quite an effort - and a boat or rather a small ferry on the other side of the river started moving towards us, gaining momentum gradually. At last it was on our side, and we managed to transfer our loaded bikes to it, with some effort, then started pulling on the other chain - and we were on our way! It was even harder work now, pulling not just the boat, but us and the bikes, so we moved slowly, and the river had more time to move us downstream from our target, so by the time we crossed, we were out of chain to release on the other side. We managed to fix that: I was holding the short chain leading to the target side, and Daniel tried to pull out some of the slack of the chain leading to the other side, so eventually we were able to get to within a wide step from the shore, and attempted to unload. It all went well until Daniel misstepped and ended up knee-deep in the cold water. He had no other shoes, so until the end of that day he was riding in a puddle of river water, poor thing.
ALcfkFh-w2boIjiQZjArlGlv0CjcNFdrzBTK5HkZRGp8_38pgk.jpg

A word about cycling infrastructure. As we were riding, I was thinking about this, and came up with the following realization. Cycling infrastructure consists of two main components. The first one is the physical manifestation: the separate cycling paths, the markings on the asphalt, the special traffic lights et cetera. The second is the mental component: how well are the drivers behaving towards cyclists, on the whole. As far as the first component goes, France’s performance was very uneven. True, we rode through Paris from Gare l’Est to Montparnasse, 6 km North to South, and it was nothing short of amazing - everything I heard about the transformation Paris is undergoing is true, and more. In other large cities the physical infrastructure is not as impressive, usually the paths are shared with cars and sometimes there are no marked paths at all. Furthermore, although many one-way streets are allowing cyclists to go against the traffic flow, there are also a lot of those that don’t (and for a good reason, them being too narrow). On the other hand, the mental component was top notch. The vast majority of drivers take a wide pass when overtaking cyclists, and many slow down and wait if they deem the conditions unsafe - I sometimes waved people through because I preferred them to overtake me over sitting on my tail. This may seem trivial to some, but to me, coming from Israel, it is not. I have more close shaves on my single 3 km route from home to a train station as part of my commute, than I had during my 2 weeks in France. The only exception is that people seem to be upset when they are driving down a one-way street, and a cyclist is coming towards them (sometimes even when it’s allowed!)

ruYSD9acuViqZIwyviKY7fsRunWS2dM6gz2cZFJR61zT5leByY.jpg

We ended up riding so much that we didn’t have all that much time for exploring, but still, the sheer amount of castles, chateaux, medieval towns and villages with ancient buildings was staggering. Some of the buildings are well preserved and are turned into museums. We were especially impressed by the Château d'Ussé, by the Chateau at Villandry and of course by the most famous of them all - Château de Chambord. Although undergoing restoration, it is still very impressive, especially when one reads up on its history - talk about excess! Other historical buildings appear to be in active use, yet others look run down and dilapidating. There were also quite a few outdoor sculpture parks, as well as a Lenin museum, that was closed, alas.
ZadTWzu6ndUbT-kjcThOjruJJfdZs07UtelCT1PIVkJdNGCcV0.jpg
S21fJ7ZcmUmFDAMiWzO1xJ-6VTw3xAVoLOaJljRM27JzI4y7LI.jpg

Towards the end of the tour, another small adventure awaited us. On our last night on the route we were staying in a small village by the name of Rang. We got there by riding a few kilometers on a busy highway, a first such occurrence on this route. On the next day we were supposed to be at the Mulhouse train station at 14:16 in order to catch the train to Strasbourg and from there, after a short connection, on to Paris, where we would stay the night before our flight. No problem, we were just going to get up early, have our breakfast and ride the 80-some kilometers in time for the train. Being a good planner, I also added checkpoints along the route where, if we miss them, we’ll be obligated to take a train to Mulhouse. As we were leaving in the morning, my phone beeped. Our train Mulhouse - Strasbourg has just been canceled - again, because of the strike. If we took a later train we would miss the connection and end up on a later TGV train to Paris - which would be bad, because we had reserved spots for our bicycles for a particular train. No problem, we’ll just have to take an earlier train - one leaving Mulhouse at 13:46. So we now had even less time to spare! We ended up riding like men possessed for at least the first 40 km, making just one 20-minutes break, but then we realized that we’ll be there in time and to spare, so ended up stopping for a nice pasta lunch along a canal - and, indeed, made it to the train station in time.

To conclude, a little bit about our cycling setup and traveling arrangements. We rode our own bikes, which we took with us on a flight, in cardboard boxes. Aegean airlines takes an extra charge for sports equipment, I believe it was 55 euros per bicycle, per direction. We stored the boxes in our Paris hotel, and collected them on the way back (great kudos to the Graphik Montparnasse hotel for their responsiveness and helpfulness). Both are gravel bikes, which we loaded with rear panniers and frame and handlebar bags, and I also had a seat bag which we used for food mostly. We slept in hotels and B&Bs, so did not carry camping equipment, on the other hand, we had some extra clothes which we would have left behind if we had to bring the tent and the sleeping bag. This setup worked great for us, and we plan to use it in the future, with minimal changes.

yello

That reads like a well planned and executed journey. :okay: Too true, stuff doesn't always go to plan so being flexible is beneficial.

Some useful info in there too, thanks for posting.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

I wrote that I'm happy about my current setup. Well, this is mostly true. I do want to register two complaints though. First, mudguards. Canyon did something awful: they didn't provide enough eyelets for mudguards, so I didn't have any. We only had one stretch of mud on this whole route, like maybe 200 m of mud, but it was enough to cover all of us: the bikes, the bags, the clothes. I really need to figure out how to put mudguards on this bike - worst case I'll have to buy Canyon's (and figure out how to ship them here without having to sell a kidney). The other thing is front panniers - we don't have any. In my son's case this is easily rectified - he has a proper bike with like a whole line of eyelets along the fork, whereas I, as per above, have a Canyon - it does not appear to be possible to put front panniers on this damn bike, at all. I'll trade the handlebar Ortlieb bag for a bikepacking style bag next time, and hang another small bag off that, but alas, no front panniers for me. So my balance will continue to suck, but what can you do - doesn't seem worth to replace the bicycle for that reason.

Nice write up. Glad ye enjoyed it. You have to hand it to the French - they do know how to make a point ^_^

Canyon did something awful: they didn't provide enough eyelets for mudguards
Having mudguards doesn't always help ^_^ I had to remove the front one just to be able to move!
IMG_20220412_180722.jpg

The other thing is front panniers
Unless the forks are carbon (or some other fancy material) you may be able to use u-shaped thingies on the forks instead of bosses. I did on my old hybrid (with a locked out suspension fork) secured at the top on the brake mount. Did a lot of miles on that bike with no problems (at the front).
The front rack on Roccado (pictured and different rack) doesn't need fork bosses either.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Nice write up. Glad ye enjoyed it. You have to hand it to the French - they do know how to make a point ^_^

Thanks! Alas, as much as I enjoyed it, looking back on these magical two weeks, I get a feeling of a rather rushed adventure, with too many things/cities/churches left unexplored. That's the best one can get when limited in one's vacation time, while also wishing to cover a particular stretch of surface from A to B. I'll try to moderate things more going forward in terms of mileage, in favor of exploration. And, going against your recommendation before the trip, we did not dedicate enough time to Paris. I don't mind, I've been there enough times in the past, but I do miss being able to show it to my son. Well, there's always the next time.

Having mudguards doesn't always help ^_^ I had to remove the front one just to be able to move!
View attachment 686017

Yes, that happened to me too in the past, while riding my MTB.
Unless the forks are carbon (or some other fancy material) you may be able to use u-shaped thingies on the forks instead of bosses. I did on my old hybrid (with a locked out suspension fork) secured at the top on the brake mount. Did a lot of miles on that bike with no problems (at the front).
The front rack on Roccado (pictured and different rack) doesn't need fork bosses either.

Alas, carbon it is. I'm thinking of putting an old inner tube on the fork, then attaching some panniers to it with some u-straps and loading them very lightly. Or maybe not, we'll see. At some point, if I decide to venture further afield, I think I'll have no choice but to replace the bike with something more manageable away from "civilization".

I get a feeling of a rather rushed adventure, with too many things/cities/churches left unexplored
It's something I often suggest to people who come on here riding a wave of enthusiasm looking for bike, gear or route recommendations to just slow down, get out and try things out before committing to expensive purchases. Our idea of touring can change. The more we see and do, the better idea we have for what we enjoy, and don't.
The trick is not to see things in terms of right (and especially!) or wrong.

Being a great believer in "Murphy's Law" it's a rare thing that I've planned multiple long days by choice. I'm far more comfortable and "in the zone" with a relaxed schedule and have enough curiosity to keep me amused if I arrive early. The odd challenging day thrown into the mix can be great. But every day? Not for me.

I don't mind, I've been there enough times in the past
May I respectfully remind you that you have a travelling partner? ^_^

Alas, carbon it is. I'm thinking of putting an old inner tube on the fork, then attaching some panniers to it
Ehm, I'm far from an expert but my understanding of Carbon is that it's a material not to be fecked around with. A broken fork is a tour delaying event, possibly tour ending. And that's not mentioning the effect on the rider of a sudden failure.
Surely a more straightforward response is a different fork? A bit of research (Sheldon Brown is always a good source) and a talk with a reputable supplier might help. That was one upgrade I considered for my bike but ultimately rejected.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Ehm, I'm far from an expert but my understanding of Carbon is that it's a material not to be fecked around with. A broken fork is a tour delaying event, possibly tour ending. And that's not mentioning the effect on the rider of a sudden failure.
Surely a more straightforward response is a different fork? A bit of research (Sheldon Brown is always a good source) and a talk with a reputable supplier might help. That was one upgrade I considered for my bike but ultimately rejected.

Yes, I've been thinking about replacing this fork. Alas, Canyon did things in a very peculiar way, so the word on the street is that sourcing a replacement fork is not trivial (not to mention, it's annoying to have to waste money in order to downgrade my fork). I may end up passing the front paniers to the junior, he's the young and energetic one, let him carry the additional load. Sadly, Sheldon Brown is getting away from us, or rather the world is getting away from Sheldon Brown, and his opinions are becoming dated and will never get up to date again. I loved reading his articles and learned a lot from him, but I don't think I'll trust his opinion on carbon forks, if he ever expressed any.

it's annoying to have to waste money in order to downgrade my fork

I think the language we use is very interesting.

I wouldn't consider changing out the fork to be able to do what I wanted where I wanted to do it to be either a waste of money or a downgrade.
Mind you, it's next night to impossible to "downgrade" my bike ^_^
his opinions are becoming dated and will never get up to date again.
My understanding is that volunteers, some of them professionals, are keeping the site up to date.
For an understanding of the basics it's excellent.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

I think the language we use is very interesting.

I wouldn't consider changing out the fork to be able to do what I wanted where I wanted to do it to be either a waste of money or a downgrade.
Mind you, it's next night to impossible to "downgrade" my bike ^_^

Well yes, but is that really what I want? I mean, for touring - yes, I want a sturdy fork that can be loaded, and I don't mind the extra weight of the metal fork, given the heavily loaded bike. But most of the time I use this bike for commuting, where the extra weight does count. Anyway, this is the discussion regarding the replacement fork, and looking at bike-components.de, I see 0 fitting replacement forks, so this discussion is moot. I'll have to do with what I have, which is going to be fine for a while yet, while we continue cycling along EV6 and perhaps other EVs in the future.

Well yes, but is that really what I want? I mean, for touring - yes, I want a sturdy fork that can be loaded, and I don't mind the extra weight of the metal fork, given the heavily loaded bike. But most of the time I use this bike for commuting, where the extra weight does count. Anyway, this is the discussion regarding the replacement fork, and looking at bike-components.de, I see 0 fitting replacement forks, so this discussion is moot. I'll have to do with what I have, which is going to be fine for a while yet, while we continue cycling along EV6 and perhaps other EVs in the future.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't be put off by a lack of availability in one store. Covid is still having an effect on availability and prices.

As for the discussion being moot, fair enough, but I was responding based on what you wrote.
I do want to register two complaints though. First, mudguards. Canyon did something awful: they didn't provide enough eyelets for mudguards, so I didn't have any. We only had one stretch of mud on this whole route, like maybe 200 m of mud, but it was enough to cover all of us: the bikes, the bags, the clothes. I really need to figure out how to put mudguards on this bike - worst case I'll have to buy Canyon's (and figure out how to ship them here without having to sell a kidney). The other thing is front panniers - we don't have any. In my son's case this is easily rectified - he has a proper bike with like a whole line of eyelets along the fork, whereas I, as per above, have a Canyon - it does not appear to be possible to put front panniers on this damn bike, at all. I'll trade the handlebar Ortlieb bag for a bikepacking style bag next time, and hang another small bag off that, but alas, no front panniers for me. So my balance will continue to suck, but what can you do - doesn't seem worth to replace the bicycle for that reason.

I'm thinking of putting an old inner tube on the fork, then attaching some panniers to it with some u-straps and loading them very lightly

Yes, I've been thinking about replacing this fork

My Spanish must be coming along really well - I appear to have lost the ability to understand English.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Firstly, thanks for taking time to write about your trip, it sounds like a great time was had despite your bad luck with the French strikes.

I was just a little curious about this statement:

So my balance will continue to suck, but what can you do - doesn't seem worth to replace the bicycle for that reason.

I do quite a lot of touring with bikepacking bags and I ride a Kona Sutra LTD. Recently though I purchased a hardtail mountain bike and for various reasons I don't want to attach any cargo cages to the lower fork legs on my suspension forks. So for me it's been a puzzle to work out how to know carry the kit I need whilst losing the carrying capacity from the lower forks.

I've solved this by having a seatpost bag, full frame bag, two small bags on the top of the top tube, a front roll and a feed bag attached to the stem. All in, this is nearly 40 litres of carry capacity which is the same as I had on the Kona, but this time without the lower fork bags. Water is stored under the down tube and in the feedbag on the stem, 2 litres in total. To look at the bike all of the weight is high up, however, crucially I've not found any detriment to the bikes handling with this set up. On the contrary, off-road and single track are a delight with it set up this way, it feels balanced and nimble.

The Kona set up for off-road touring:

P1010269 copy.JPG

The mountain bike:

P1010754.JPG

So I suppose what I'm saying is I would be very tempted to look into supplementing your existing set up with some more bags or paring down a little on what you are carrying, rather than going to the expense/hassle of trying to find a new set of forks for your bike and look into how the weight is distributed throughout if the handling is feeling off.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

So I suppose what I'm saying is I would be very tempted to look into supplementing your existing set up with some more bags or paring down a little on what you are carrying, rather than going to the expense/hassle of trying to find a new set of forks for your bike and look into how the weight is distributed throughout if the handling is feeling off.

Yes, paring down on what I'm carrying is a good solution. Unfortunately, I'm actually planning on bringing more stuff the next time - we did credit card touring so far, finally want to switch to camping, so got all that sleeping systems, tents and cooking ware to carry, and maybe shave off a couple of garments to balance that. As for some more bags - well, I already have the panniers, the optional bag on top of the panniers, the saddle bag, the frame bag, a small top tube bag, 4 bottles (3 on the frame and one in a feed bag) and handlebar bag. I think I might be ok in terms of capacity, it's just the balance issue that is not ideal, but not a biggy.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, folks: I do have a tendency to overthink, and my concerns above are just that. It's not like I'm popping a wheelie whenever I'm riding a 3% incline, or I need to break off half of my toothbrush for lack of storage space, nothing of the kind. It's that the bike seems a bit unstable when I'm leading it - like when I need to board a train say, and I think a nice way to solve that would be to spread the load more, like I see many other folks do. I still can get a few trips out of the current setup - certainly until I complete the rest of EV6, with very little changes, I just like to have a think beyond that, in case I do decide to get more serious about this touring thing.

Top Bottom