crossing the Thames by bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_spacey

Über Member
I am going on tour in 2 weeks from Coventry and am going to get a ferry from Dover, I need to cross London And am camping all the way, go really i need to camp outside of the M25 then cross London the next day. I was thinking of going around the outside of the M25 the cross the Thames. I know there is a pick up point to be taken across free of charge but cant find any info where this is?

I all so know there are other tunnels but again no info.

Thanks
Andy

wakou

Über Member
NCR1 could be your friend..?

I would consider camping in Essex, then follow the River Lea/Lee to Hackney, From Victoria Park Hackney, the Greenway is an off-road cycle path which takes you to Becton, where you will find the Woolwich ferry across the Thames. After that errr... you're on your own, I don't know South London ^_^. If you want more detail about this route, shout me here and I will find maps and/or a gsx for you..

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's at the north end of the Dartford tunnel/bridge. I've only done it from south to north but my driver told me where to go when he dropped me off from the big roundabout by Thurrock shopping centre (A282/A1306). If I remember correctly there's a cycle path alongside the bridge approach lane that leads to the pick up point. I'll do a quick check to see whether I can come up with clearer details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
From the Highways Agency....

A10. Cyclists are prohibited from riding across the bridge or through the tunnels. However the Crossing staff will be pleased to arrange for cyclists to be transported from one side to the other. This service is free of charge.
Northbound cyclists should follow the cycle paths provided to the sign "Cyclists Wait here" at the Kent Control Point. From this point forward free transport will be provided to carry you and your bike through the tunnels.
Southbound cyclists should dismount at the Essex Control Point and wait for free transfer across the QEII Bridge. A free call telephone is provided should this point be unattended. If you are riding a tandem or travelling as a group e.g. a cycle club, it is advisable to make prior arrangements by contacting the Crossing. The transfer should take between 15 - 30 minutes. Click on the link for Contact details.

Some CTC details: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59632

And this outlines some of the cycle routes there: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/assets/files/leaflets/Sustrans_ThurrockandKent_Nov08.pdf

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here you go.
I have marked on this map where the crossing office is.
(change the view to satellite for better view)
Use the telephone on the wall to ask for transport

oldroadman

Veteran
Why not go into the edge of London and use the Woolwich Ferry - as suggested. It's pretty horrible on a bike anywhere near the Dartford crossing.

OP
OP
andy_spacey

andy_spacey

Über Member
Thanks all for the info, Looks like I am going to be cycling though the centre of London as some one from warm shower is going to put me up for a night on the west side of outer London

Top Bottom