Crouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

OK - Peter Crouch has now scored 21 goals in 38 games (55% and often off the bench)

compared to
Lineker - 48/80 appearances (60% mainly full matches)
Shearer - 30 in 63 (48% again mainly from the start)
Bobby Charlton - 49/106 (46%)
Wayne Rooney - 25/60 (42%)
Jermain Defoe - 11/40 (27.5%)
Emile Heskey - 7/58 (12%)

Is Crouchy the best kept secret we've got?

If he keeps on outscoring everyone else (even Rooney) can we leave him out?

Personally I think he is underappreciated as he is an unassuming bloke. I'd like to see him and Rooney up front as part of my starting 442 formation.

Forget trying Gerard up with Rooney.

Mature teams/managers like Spain pick the best system and then fit the players around them. We seem determined to shoehorn Gerard and Lampard into the team, whatever that does to the overall balance of the team.

Crouch and Rooney would be the 1st 2 names pencilled into my team.

Crouch seems to be the most underappreciated England striker ever??

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
He's fine against the lesser nations but as soon as he comes up against a top class defender he's useless, which is why he usually starts on the bench. His 'goal' against Mexico was a laugh though!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Didn't Bobby Charlton score mostly from midfield?

It's a shame Beckham's out because he and Crouch made a good plan B .

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
He will always pose an aerial threat for obvious reasons. Our group stages are not exactly full of top class oposition, so worth considering or Capello wouldn't have taken him.

Scotland's got a similar player Boyd, hopefully he's going down south next year. He's good at coming of the bench and scoring and has a good scoring rate but he never does it against good opposition (IIRC he only scored once against the mighty tic in 5 years) and his work off the ball isn't good.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'll give a fiver to a charity of anyone's choice when the first commentator says, " He's got good feet for a big lad":biggrin:

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Comparing stats to earlier eras doesn't work. Back in the day you could rely on England thrashing San Marino, USA, Scotland etc. These days the teams are much better organised and better technically. Crouchy is a great asset though, lovely feet, though no spring, intelligent.

Bring on the robot!

Watt-O said:
Comparing stats to earlier eras doesn't work. Back in the day you could rely on England thrashing San Marino, USA, Scotland etc. These days the teams are much better organised and better technically. Crouchy is a great asset though, lovely feet, though no spring, intelligent.

Bring on the robot!
What day was that ;), we just prefer to draw with minnows :ohmy:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
HLaB said:

YouTube at its best!

I like Crouch, he's got good feet for such a big lad.

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

rich p said:
I'll give a fiver to a charity of anyone's choice when the first commentator says, " He's got good feet for a big lad":biggrin:

I'm always waiting for someone to say, "he's got bad feet for a small lad" about a small but not very good player :smile:

Top Bottom