Crowdfunding a charity cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alba Cyclist

I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were on crowdfunding a charity cycle?

The cycle is lead by a famous cycling name and there are a lot of unique rewards for those who donate including the chance to actually cycle with the team.

The aim of the cycle is to raise money for three British children's hospitals.

Anyway. Let me know your thoughts on this?

snorri

Legendary Member
It depends, will helmet wearing be an entry requirement?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I can see this working. Do you have a target to reach to make it happen. Location, Dates, Any agreements with Councils needed?

OP
OP
Alba Cyclist

Alba Cyclist

It is a 3700+ mile cycle from John O'Groats in Scotland to Gibraltar.

The Children's hospitals the funds are being raised for are Yorkhill in Glasgow, GOSH in London and the Rainbow Ward in St Bernard's Hospital in Gibraltar.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'd love to join, do you have any ideas of the dates and ways for supporting the crowdfunding?

Hard to take this question seriously, given all the info is in the posted link.

Presumably, this is just a bump from a new member.

While I'm on, the whole thing looks rather like an attempt to get someone else to pay for expensive support for a cycling adventure using poorly children as emotional blackmail.

You are raising £40,000 just to pay for the ride??? As far as I can see, not a penny of that is going to charity. That seems kind of obscene to me.

U

User6179

You are raising £40,000 just to pay for the ride??? As far as I can see, not a penny of that is going to charity. That seems kind of obscene to me.

Would depend how much they raise in total would it not !?

If they raise a million then £40000 is nothing !

I wonder what percentage of monies collected in the UK for charities actually go to the charities on average , would be willing to wager this charity will far exceed that average.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

If you'd taken the time to read the information on the crowd sourcing you'd see that the fundraising target is £2,500,000. All sponsorship money raised by the riders goes to the nominated charities. The £40000 represents 1.6%, a remarkably low 'cut'.

e-rider

crappy member
this doesn't look to be going too well so far - probably because it's not clear exactly how this works. Do you actually get to ride or do they just want your money?

the whole thing is weird. The site says there has been one donation of £10, yet the total pledged it 1,190. Also it has two corporate backers - but the minimum corporate amount listed is £1000, so shouldn't the total be over £2000.

I watched the video. I have no idea where they get £2.5 million fundraising target from. On what basis do they think they can raise that much?

Top Bottom