Crud Roadracer guards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok thought I better post up my dealings with these since last week. I decided for this winter to try out something else on my langster that would keep my drier through the winter months.

So have bought and fitted these http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer/image

They fit on reasonable quickly and hassle free. Quite a good fit on the langsters close clearance frame. With 23mm tyres there is enough room however I suspect with bigger tyres it will be a squeeze.

Another issue is removing the rear wheel if in need of repair :smile: It will be quite fiddly so hope the P*&^%$ F*** never pays me a visit :biggrin:

On the whole they have kept my arse dry and my feet, even when I`ve purposefully aimed for the puddles ;) Time will tell on the reliability stakes but so far so good.

leyton condor

Veteran
How much do they cost?
I have decided to try and cure the wet arse problem after about 20 years of commuting and just putting up with it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Got mine from Wheelbase.co.uk - £21.49 inc. carr. Best price I could find (except for Ribble if part of £50+ order). Crud state 700x25 maximum tyre size, and not tyres with deep tread.

I bought a pair recently. Fitting them was no problem and they looked pretty good too. On my first ride, after only 25 minutes, a small branch got caught between the mudguard and my rear wheel tyre. The result was that the mudguard snapped off where the stay rod connects and it was rendered useless. So, they do not stand up to too much stick - no pun intended. However, the very nice people at Crud sent me a new one free of charge. Great customer service!

Jonathan M

Do any of you guys who have these guards feel that they could fit a smaller wheel? My sons Decathlon road bike has 600c wheels, and he often has to wear waterproof trousers simply because the road surface is wet, and being guardless means he'd get to school with wet a wet arse & trousers without.

What are the stays made from, and could they be altered to fit the smaller wheel?

ChrisKH

Guru
I would just like to add that I bought these last week and they are a lovely product, however they are very fragile. On their first use on the roadbike, my right foot caught the mudguard as I was pushing the bike along at a cafe stop on the FNrttc and the bottom of the guard splintered and the LHS support broke and went into the wheel. Yes, I know to take greater care now, but there is a question mark over whether they are actually fit for the purpose. They are very very nice from a style perspective, but need to be treated with kid gloves IMO.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bernieUK said:
I bought a pair recently. Fitting them was no problem and they looked pretty good too. On my first ride, after only 25 minutes, a small branch got caught between the mudguard and my rear wheel tyre. The result was that the mudguard snapped off where the stay rod connects and it was rendered useless. So, they do not stand up to too much stick - no pun intended. However, the very nice people at Crud sent me a new one free of charge. Great customer service!

ChrisKH said:
I would just like to add that I bought these last week and they are a lovely product, however they are very fragile. On their first use on the roadbike, my right foot caught the mudguard as I was pushing the bike along at a cafe stop on the FNrttc and the bottom of the guard splintered and the LHS support broke and went into the wheel.
I think the fragility was designed in as a safety feature. The last thing you want if a stick (coke can, carrier bag, whatever) gets tangled up in your front mudguard is for it to remain intact but lock the wheel up. If Crud are happy to replace any that break, fair enough. I have some 'toeclip overlap' on mine and caught them several times zig-zagging up a steep hill yesterday, but no damage was done.

Top Bottom