Cryptic clues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Motobecane

Motobecane

Guru
Generator of confusion early in the week. (6)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Not cycling related but ..
Important thing the secretary must do for the boss when he is away...
(11)
Damn it, I'm way out of practice! It looks like one of those clues I'd leave until I'd found a few letters.

gbb

Legendary Member
Damn it, I'm way out of practice! It looks like one of those clues I'd leave until I'd found a few letters.
I used to do cryptics fanatically. This one caught me out years ago, so much so I remember it now.
Important is the key word, This clue works back to front in a way, find the answer to the main clue and it will make sense when you read the rest.

I used to do cryptics fanatically. This one caught me out years ago, so much so I remember it now.
Important is the key word, This clue works back to front in a way, find the answer to the main clue and it will make sense when you read the rest.
I'm never going to get it, never got my head around cryptics (yup, I missed the meaning of "exotic", putting me in the group "thickoes") but

"Years ago" that makes sense. What struck me about it was the use of "secretary" - they are now PAs, or office admins or admin assistants etc - and also the pronoun for the boss being "he" - though the syntax is a bit screwy, so I will apologise if the answer means that the "he" is the secretary, not the boss.

Top Bottom