CS11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm by no means a fan of the cycle superhighway scheme but the Stop CS11 campaign is laughable. Bus passengers will be delayed? Emergency vehicles won't be able to get through Regents Park (I imagine the gates will open for them)?

I just wish we'd get round to barring private cars from central London, that'll truly wind them up

Lonestar

Veteran
Cop car found a way the other day.He drove up the East West route with lights flashing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cop car found a way the other day.He drove up the East West route with lights flashing.
Yes, and using it as an extra emergency access lane has two huge benefits for cyclist: it's built with a proper structure and surface to take the weight of fire engines which means it doesn't collapse when the first idiot in an HGV drives onto it (as often happens elsewhere); and they can't go narrower than motor vehicle width. The main drawback is it means we can't have bollards on the junctions to stop motorists making a wrong turn onto it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The main drawback is it means we can't have bollards on the junctions to stop motorists making a wrong turn onto it.
Look on the bright side: no bollards means no pinch points either.

mjr

Look on the bright side: no bollards means no pinch points either.
True. I'd discourage incompetent motorists by using coloured (not painted) tarmac across the junctions. That, and have Dutch-style countdowns at red lights which accelerate as more and more cyclists arrive.

Lonestar

Veteran
The use by blue light vehicles is a good thing.i am hoping that, in a few months when enough instances of usage have occurred, evidence will be available to show a net benefit to people needing emergency services.
I still hate the ludicrous wait across the road at Blackfriars, and the two stage left turn to cross Southwark Bridge though.

I wasn't sure what he was doing at first.The emergency vehicle was in the car lane then seem to change his mind.

I find the lights at Tower gateway a pain in the 'arris.Sometimes the ones at the top don't seem to change if I'm doing a really early turn.Had to walk across a few times.From West to East once I've cleared 5 slow sets I've got through the worst bit.

mjr

I find the lights at Tower gateway a pain in the 'arris.Sometimes the ones at the top don't seem to change if I'm doing a really early turn.Had to walk across a few times.From West to East once I've cleared 5 slow sets I've got through the worst bit.
Report it at www.fixMyStreet.com - it's a balancing act setting the sensors so they detect the minimal induction of a carbon bike but don't detect a solid tipper truck in the neighbouring lane and it sounds like the signals engineers may have got them turned down a bit too low just now. This is another reason why I like the Dutch bike signals WAIT countdown circles - it's positive feedback that you've been detected.

Lonestar

Veteran
Trust my commute to pass when the West Ham fans were coming out tonight.That was not fun at all between Bow and past Stratford.Football fans only walk where they want to,like everywhere.

One even bawled out of his window around the Stratford one way system "come on you eons" whatever that means.Also it was like a ratrun round there like the normal Friday/Saturday night fare.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

One even bawled out of his window around the Stratford one way system "come on you eons" whatever that means.
That'll be "come on you Irons, a reference to when West Ham were called Thames Ironworks, some several years ago.

Top Bottom