CS5 to Lewisham - Does anyone know what happened to it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
As those who travel from Lewisham toward Vauxhall and Victoria will know, CS5 which runs from Oval to Pimlico was originally supposed to start at either Lewisham or New Cross. they even resurfaced Camberwell New Road as part of that extension.

I think it was 2014 where there was a spate of cyclist deaths, and TFL said at that time the other plans for CS5 were being put on hold so they could re-assess them.

I've just had a good look through the TFL website, but I can't see any reference to those old plans implying that the whole scheme has been kicked into the long grass.

Just wondering if anybody knows any different?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think they are concentrating on getting CS4 sorted before CS5. I had a letter through the post outlining CS4 plans recently.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Is that the one they now just refer to as the East-West superhighway?
I went through the Hyde Park section for the first time the other day. They've made a nice job of it. Looks like they've shelved the plans to take it up on to the elevated A40 though. Shame - I was looking forward to that...

Brains

Legendary Member
No CS4 is Greenwich, through Deptford to London Bridge
http://For full details and to share your views, please visit tfl.gov.uk/CS4

CS4 - Due for completion in 2014-15!
And it was supposed to run from London Bridge to the Woolwich Road flyover

The new plan is for it to run London Bridge to the Rotherhythe Tunnel.
Then a mile long gap.
Before it starts again at the Peypes Estate and finishes at Deptford Bridge, two miles short of the original target.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/cs4/

upload_2017-10-11_19-59-23.png

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
I see. Well I guess they'll get there in the end. Curious that they're putting that gap through a separate consultation. I guess it's a bit like New Cross... I suspect they're avoiding that for the time being because I can't see that there's anything they can do about it without a massive budget. The railway line gets in the way of everything. They can't make the pavements on the bridge smaller because the station is on the bridge, and they can't lose a traffic lane because the existing ones are already very narrow. What they need's another bridge, but that's expensive.

Still, we can't complain I suppose. What they've done on the embankment and around Vauxhall is marvellous, in my opinion anyway... finally feel like I'm getting a little value for money out of my council tax - it's been long enough!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I see. Well I guess they'll get there in the end. Curious that they're putting that gap through a separate consultation. I guess it's a bit like New Cross... I suspect they're avoiding that for the time being because I can't see that there's anything they can do about it without a massive budget. The railway line gets in the way of everything. They can't make the pavements on the bridge smaller because the station is on the bridge, and they can't lose a traffic lane because the existing ones are already very narrow. What they need's another bridge, but that's expensive.

Still, we can't complain I suppose. What they've done on the embankment and around Vauxhall is marvellous, in my opinion anyway... finally feel like I'm getting a little value for money out of my council tax - it's been long enough!
The delay does seem to have stemmed from the difficulty of providing a safe cycling route through the New Cross one way system. I seem to remember that the NX to Lewisham part had been downgraded from CS status.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
The delay does seem to have stemmed from the difficulty of providing a safe cycling route through the New Cross one way system. I seem to remember that the NX to Lewisham part had been downgraded from CS status.
Yes it does seem to be the case. And from a street planning perspective I suppose I see why. Many hours I think I've spent over the years looking for parallel routes to avoid it, but there's just nothing viable. I tried going through Brockley, Ladywell, then round some back streets back on to the A20 near Lee a couple of times but it didn't save any time and was a bit of a faff.

All a bit of a shame really. With all the works round Lewisham it would have been a great time to build a superhighway into the plans and get the developers to pay for its installation, since they've changed the road layout and re-routed an entire river for those flats anyway.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
All a bit of a shame really. With all the works round Lewisham it would have been a great time to build a superhighway into the plans and get the developers to pay for its installation, since they've changed the road layout and re-routed an entire river for those flats anyway.

It's a complete mess what they have done with the re-routing. Coming down Molesworth Street towards the new layout. The lights are so confusing for drivers where the lanes split. I've lost count at how many car drivers have inadvertently jumped the lights at the right hand filter due to the misplaced/misaligned lights that are meant for the left hand filter.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
It's not the best, although it's an improvement on that particularly exciting roundabout that was there before. Took your life in your hands using that, what with having to look at not only what the driver in the adjacent exit was doing, but the next two or three as well. Right old free-for-all it was.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's not the best, although it's an improvement on that particularly exciting roundabout that was there before. Took your life in your hands using that, what with having to look at not only what the driver in the adjacent exit was doing, but the next two or three as well. Right old free-for-all it was.

The Roundabout of Death as I christened it.

Top Bottom