CTC Accident Line Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Done it - but found it difficult to answer some of the questions - or where I wanted an answer that wasn't there such as a change in the law to do with civil liability which I think could make a large difference to cycle safety, together with 20 mph zones.

And I ended up answering fairly positively about lorries as the vast majority of my encounters with large vehicles are fine - but the problem is the consequences if it goes wrong with a lorry is very bad.

I'll pass it on to other friends/colleagues.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
summerdays said:
Done it - but found it difficult to answer some of the questions - or where I wanted an answer that wasn't there such as a change in the law to do with civil liability which I think could make a large difference to cycle safety, together with 20 mph zones.

And I ended up answering fairly positively about lorries as the vast majority of my encounters with large vehicles are fine - but the problem is the consequences if it goes wrong with a lorry is very bad.

I'll pass it on to other friends/colleagues.

I agree - I don't think it's a terribly well-designed survey? It is quite difficult not to give contradictory answers. I'm of the opinion that lorry drivers tend to be much better drivers than car drivers, but as you say, the inherent danger per encounter is much greater with a lorry.

lazyfatgit

I've completed the questionnaire, but i found i was unable to properly explain my position using the given options.

why is it whenever i complete one of these surveys i get the feeling they're rigged in some way.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
lazyfatgit said:
I've completed the questionnaire, but i found i was unable to properly explain my position using the given options.

why is it whenever i complete one of these surveys i get the feeling they're rigged in some way.

Well if they have rigged it - then not very well - as I said I came out with slightly contradictory answers supporting lorries... and yet I never managed to get across some of the points I would have made - such they need to be smaller in urban areas where there are narrow roads. I think its just a not well worded one - but then I doubt I could do better either.

lazyfatgit

Maybe rigged was the wrong word. But i definitely feel dissatisfied that my intention is distorted by the choice of answer available.

I've generally been given enough room by lorries, there's been the odd close pass. I'd also say not all lorries/large vehicles are the same. The quiestinoaire doesn't really allow for that either.

I'd say skip trucks and tippers are often more aggresively/inconsideratley driven than cab and trailer HGVs.

hillrep

Veteran
I think you are all being a little too kind here. This is an excellent example of now not to do a survey.

Question 7 is utterly ridiculous:

7. As a cyclist, which ONE of the following statements most sums up why you don’t like sharing the road with a lorry?

Lorry drivers often can’t see me
t.gif
Lorry drivers do not give me enough room
t.gif
I feel intimidated by large vehicles
t.gif
Lorry drivers don’t understand what it’s like to be a cyclist

So I'm told I don't like sharing the road with lorries (not true) and can then choose from a limited range of replies as to why.

This is the worst example, but most of the others are loaded in some way. Another example is Question 2:

2. Which of the following do you feel would make cyclists feel safer? Choose one.
More cycle lanes
Fewer large vehicles on inner city roads
Mandatory cycle training
Better training for other road users
If driving tests included how to deal with cyclists

How do I know what other cyclists think?
Even if I could mind read, the answer might well be something not listed e.g. better enforcement of existing traffic laws or better road maintenance etc.

The CTC should not be associated with this nonsense.

The "survey" can be found at:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=BLTKM0XXBSDGe3DNa0bc2A_3d_3d

Attachments

• t.gif
    t.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 51
  • t.gif
    t.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 45
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
hillrep said:
I think you are all being a little too kind here. This is an excellent example of now not to do a survey.

7. As a cyclist, which ONE of the following statements most sums up why you don’t like sharing the road with a lorry?

t.gif
t.gif
t.gif

So I'm told I don't like sharing the road with lorries (not true) and can then choose from a limited range of replies as to why.

This is the worst example, but most of the others are loaded in some way. Another example is Question 2:

2. Which of the following do you feel would make cyclists feel safer? Choose one.
More cycle lanes
Mandatory cycle training

Even if I could mind read, the answer might well be something not listed e.g. better enforcement of existing traffic laws or better road maintenance etc.

I agree it's rudimentary, poorly structured and with leading questions. There needs to be more open format questions. I'm writing to the CTC about the questionnaire and recommend others do the same.

Attachments

• t.gif
    t.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 56
  • t.gif
    t.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 49
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
hillrep said:

t.gif
t.gif
t.gif

More cycle lanes
Mandatory cycle training

I agree it's rudimentary, poorly structured and with leading questions. There needs to be more open format questions. I'm writing to the CTC about the questionnaire and recommend others do the same.

Attachments

• t.gif
    t.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 44
  • t.gif
    t.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 48

PK99

Legendary Member
lazyfatgit said:

Because they are?

sometimes deliberately, sometimes unintentionally but any survey designed by someone with a vested interest in the outcome will inevitably be biased and flawed.

PK99

Legendary Member
lazyfatgit said:

Because they are?

sometimes deliberately, sometimes unintentionally but any survey designed by someone with a vested interest in the outcome will inevitably be biased and flawed.

Top Bottom