CTC article with video - Cycling in London 30 years ago.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just look at any film more than 30 years old and you'll only see slender people. I can't understand why gluttony and laziness have not been stigmatised in the same way that governments and health authorities have succeeded in stigmatising smoking. It's odd that obesity has become acceptable in our crap "anything's cool" culture while just about everything else has actually become uncool.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Just look at any film more than 30 years old and you'll only see slender people. I can't understand why gluttony and laziness have not been stigmatised in the same way that governments and health authorities have succeeded in stigmatising smoking. It's odd that obesity has become acceptable in our crap "anything's cool" culture while just about everything else has actually become uncool.
Quite shocking really. Interesting the changes that have taken place in my lifetime.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I actually think the upward trend started when mountain bikes hit the scene with their comfortable positions, smooth-riding fat tyres, good brakes and easy gearing. Their technology soon got passed on to roadsters, which became known as "hybrids" and then even to road bikes when it became acceptable for amateurs like me to ride easy triples or compacts with a wide range of gears on the cassette. Throw comfortable lightweight carbon frames into the equation and you can see why so many MAMILs are getting back into cycling in middle age.

ScotiaLass

Guru
That was interesting!
I'm too nervous to cycle on roads and only use them when there's no other alternative.
Luckily where I live we are developing quite a decent cycle network.

Garethgas

That was a fascinating video.
Pretty nostalgic looking at those old cars too but I didn't notice the size of the people until it was mentioned.
It's really sad that so many people of all ages have become so ill disciplined and lazy when it comes to exercise in just one generation.

Top Bottom