CTC + breakdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I've got theft insurance for my bikes with my home policy with M&S which I'm happy with.

However i wouldn't mind also having breakdown insurance which I haven't got, and legal cover which i haven't got - for which i thought CTC would cover both, however while it does do legal, it doesn't mention anything about breakdown. Does CTC do breakdown cover?

longers

Legendary Member
I asked a RAC bloke while I was locking my bike up last month, he was a salesman but his opinion was that if you were a member they would pick you up on your bike*. Probably not worth taking out if you have no car but sounds like it's worth checking out if you have breakdown cover from them or the AA or whoever.

*they being the RAC not the CTC.

I did hear a rumour about the CTC but that's all it was and I didn't delve too deeply.

longers

Legendary Member
bonj said:
i'm in the AA and the RAC

you play them off against each other :tongue:

"right fellas, my exhaust's fallen off, I'm due at an important squash tournament in half an hour, the first repair response company to get me to the court has my business for the next twelve months."

We had probably the quickest response time ever - a mates car had blocked fuel lines and we phoned the AA from the garage that the very nice man had stopped for a pee at. About 30 seconds for him to start on the car.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

longers said:
you play them off against each other :tongue:

"right fellas, my exhaust's fallen off, I'm due at an important squash tournament in half an hour, the first repair response company to get me to the court has my business for the next twelve months."
;) Yes, exactly!

Abitrary

I got a flat tire once, and having no spare tube out of desperation rang the AA. A patrol bloke turned up on a yellow tandem with a trailer which he stuck my bike on. We then pedalled to the halfords in town where they fixed it for free.

They truly are the 5th emergency service.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

hmmm... but that doens't include ctc membership though does it simon? Would I have to fork out ANOTHER 35 quid for ctc membership if i wanted the legal cover?

and it seems a bit rich to not include punctures. I once went out on the mtb and like the responsible cyclist that i am took a spare tube. But got DUAL snakebites on a bridlepath. So I called the ETA, which i wasin then (but am not now). They were there within the hour. With the CTC, i'd presumably either have been stranded, or had to trump up some other mechanical problem which may have had to risk them not believing me. What do they do, inspect your bike to make sure there's MORE reasons that you can't ride it than a puncture?

Top Bottom