CTC or British Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
I've had a few e-mails this week trying to get me to join British Cycling. The carrot of some free lights and discounts at Halfords are mentioned. Is it worth it? I must admit the insurance issue is something I've thought about for a while and im leaning towards joining.....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've had a few e-mails this week trying to get me to join British Cycling. The carrot of some free lights and discounts at Halfords are mentioned. Is it worth it? I must admit the insurance issue is something I've thought about for a while and im leaning towards joining.....
Why, is your home insurance poo and doesn't insure you? ;)

Are the free lights compliant with UK law? :rofl:

And the Halfords discount is BC being anti-social to all other cyclists twice: once by helping Halfords take trade from local bike shops; and twice because Halfords don't pay into the Bike Hub programme that funds some cycle campaigning and various other good projects.

Hyslop

Veteran
CTC, cos they do half price membership for registered carers.

The forums is full of tothers, don't visit it.
My reason for going with CTC also.I wasnt aware of many of the issues current amongst the membership and to be honest I havent had any involvement with the local group.However,given that Ive had a look at the forums,Id agree with you.The impression I got was of a stereotype common to many interest groups(CAMRA,Ramblers,Geography teachers etc),opinionated, argumentative,hairy knees and a bit sweaty.Often wrong of course,but still a bit offputting,As I was mainly after the insurance,BC offered little else of interest.

gavgav

Guru

And the Halfords discount is BC being anti-social to all other cyclists twice: once by helping Halfords take trade from local bike shops; and twice because Halfords don't pay into the Bike Hub programme that funds some cycle campaigning and various other good projects.
Not when I'm out on the road it doesn't no!! :okay:

It's the 3rd party insurance that seems remotely enticing, as I wouldn't put it past some knob to try and blame something on me at sometime during the coming years. Hopefully they won't but the general deteriorating standard of driving does make me wonder.

To be honest I don't need the lights as got a perfectly decent pair and very rarely shop at Halfords for bike bits, so neither of those are a big draw.

Cubist

Still wavin'
If the Halfords discount isn't palatable, BC also gives members a personal code for 10 % off at ChainReaction every month

postman

Legendary Member
I have been with the CTC since 1990.I was the Secretary of a works cycle team.When that stopped.I took out family cover in 2002.All four of us 24 hours a day.All types of cycling £70 for the year.Four of us,great value.I hope i never use it.

mjr

Not when I'm out on the road it doesn't no!! :okay:

It's the 3rd party insurance that seems remotely enticing
Wow. Which home insurer is so bad that its personal liability insurance doesn't cover you out on the road? Does that mean you also need walking insurance?

If the Halfords discount isn't palatable, BC also gives members a personal code for 10 % off at ChainReaction every month
Do CRC pay into the Bike Hub? (Are they a member of the Association of Cycle Traders or similar?)

gavgav

Guru
Wow. Which home insurer is so bad that its personal liability insurance doesn't cover you out on the road? Does that mean you also need walking insurance?

Many thanks for your unhelpful sarcastic response.

How do you even know I've got a house and home insurance?

Ignore is a lovely feature :hello:

mjr

Many thanks for your unhelpful sarcastic response.
No, that was genuine surprise, not sarcasm. THIS is sarcasm:

How do you even know I've got a house and home insurance?
Oh of course, you're homeless, like so many people with bicycles worth insuring, internet connections and considering buying into clubs(!) :rolleyes:

Ignore is a lovely feature :hello:
Yep, it lets people talk about you in front of your face instead of behind your back! :tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
British Cycling here, unfortunately having to make use of their legal team having been knocked off last February. Slow process but I think that's normal for personal injury

The halfords and chain reaction discounts are just useful extras

Certainly worth the £30 odd a year, the politics and perceived rights and wrongs don't really influence the decision. It's on direct debit, just renews once a year, no hassle

The bikes are insured home and away on my home insurance (Zurich I think through the AA)

gavgav

Guru
British Cycling here, unfortunately having to make use of their legal team having been knocked off last February. Slow process but I think that's normal for personal injury

The halfords and chain reaction discounts are just useful extras

Certainly worth the £30 odd a year, the politics and perceived rights and wrongs don't really influence the decision. It's on direct debit, just renews once a year, no hassle

The bikes are insured home and away on my home insurance (Zurich I think through the AA)
Sorry to hear you are having to make use of the legal team.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear you are having to make use of the legal team.
Accidents happen unfortunately and what seemed quite an innocuous incident led to quite a nasty injury but I'm glad of the BC cover :smile: and my private bupa policy (they should get their outlay back eventually too)

Top Bottom