Cube Agree GTC - The tale of my first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legit

Hi all!

I've been a member of these forums for a couple of months now and I have found it extremely useful in aiding my general cycling knowledge - anything ranging from maintenance, reviews and opinions to how to cycle confidently and safely on Britain's roads. Many thanks to all of you in the Cyclechat community.

I started cycling to work (5 miles each way) on a decent Scott hybrid I picked up in last years winter sale and needless to say, I got bitten by the bug and have been riding to work and in my spare time ever since. You can imagine my childish glee when my employer announced this year's cycle to work scheme and I promptly signed up and began searching for my new pride and joy.

I eventually fell in love with the Cube Peloton SL - I loved the green/black/white colour scheme - and based on the pictures/feedback from "Cubist" when he purchased one, I knew I had to have it. Much to my dismay, everywhere locally/online had supply problems (either that or this years Cube's were just too damn popular!) and my LBS didn't have a single Cube I was interested in or in my size (62cm - 6ft 3). They did however give me the 2012 Cube catalogue and that's when I began tracking down the Cube Agree GTC.

Many phone calls and e-mails later, my search led me to Certini, a bike shop located in Saltash in Cornwall. Alas, they didn't have the Peloton SL but they did have the Agree GTC and even better - it was in a 62cm frame, compact crankset - perfect. Certini's customer service was excellent and I'd highly recommend them to anyone local or otherwise. Cornwall is ~275-300 miles from me and they allowed me to reserve the bike whilst waiting on the arrival of my certificate. When it arrived, I sent it off first class recorded and accompanied with a photocopy of my ID - as required. That was on Thursday and I have received my bike in a mostly pre-assembled fashion early this morning (Monday).

After 1 hour or so of careful assembly and tweaking, this is what I was left with:
mail

I've just gotten in from a quick 10 mile-ish ride to get acquainted and to be honest, it did feel very alien at first coming from a flat-bar childhood and hybrid commuter but now I'm feeling pretty confident and I love it! It might not be the Peloton SL but hey, it's Carbon Fibre, Shimano 105 and damn sexy if I do say so myself.

TL;DR - I R BUY BIKE - IT R GOOD :biggrin:

I almost got a Cube Agree last yr as my first road bike. However, in the end I went with the 30 day trial from WIggle and plumped for a Verenti Rhigos 0.3. I know what you mean about it feeling a little alien after non road bikes but loving the ride quite quickly. Enjoy your new steed and ride safe.

OP
OP
Legit

Legit

Glad to hear he likes it! Impressions so far are awesome and I won't know whether my average speed has increased until I get a new cycle computer. I must admit that maintaining a good cadence appears to be much easier than on the hybrid - could just be the placebo effect though :P

Schooner

Welcome Legit. I know just how you feel with my story being very similar (just cheaper bikes:sad:, Saracen hybrid and Cube Aerial). Had the roady for 6 months and bounce out of bed at 0545 every morning looking forward to the run to work. Saying that though the rain necessitated me getting the hybrid out of the shed today. And I loved it. Not as fast obviously but it was great to ride the old thing again. I reckon with these new "summers" we are having the hybrid will have a lot more action.

Powely

Hi, great reading your opinion on the Cube Agree as I've just been reading up on them myself.

OP
OP
Legit

Legit

Update: big problems with gearing & chain slipping at the moment, hopefully all shall be well once I've tweaked it a bit!

OP
OP
Legit

Legit

Sorry for double post.

Update 2: Steed is back to how it should be, very happy with it now that I've had more time to ride it!

The seat is kinda harsh to the man parts though... might take some getting used to :P

Top Bottom